MAC OS X: Forum

MBP 7200 RPM vs. 5400 RPM Drives

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
DavePottsMBP 7200 RPM vs. 5400 RPM Drives
by on Nov 13, 2006 at 5:18:51 pm

Hi All,

I'm getting ready to order one of the new 17" MacBook Pro's this week, and I wanted to know if anyone around here has an opinion on what hard drive I should get. I will be using the machine for graphics and video editing, and I am concerned about the speed of the stock hard drive that it ships with (5400 RPM) Should I opt for the smaller 7200 RPM drive, since most of my media will probably be stored on an external drive anyway, and if I do, will there be a noticeable increase in noise and heat? I realize that nobody seems to have recieved the new 17" models yet, but anyone with an opinion, please chime in - this will be my first Mac, and I don't want to regret my decision.

Thanks!

Dave Potts

UNC Charlotte Broadcast Communications

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: MBP 7200 RPM vs. 5400 RPM Drives
by on Nov 14, 2006 at 7:40:52 pm

If your media is going to be on an external drive I'd go for the 5400. Better battery life when you're away from the wall.

On the other hand, you could buy two more batteries for the laptop and not worry about it!

But as for firsthand experience, I've been using a 5400 drive Macbook Pro with an external firewire drive (7200) to do DV editing and have had zero problems so far.

Return to posts index

DavePottsRe: MBP 7200 RPM vs. 5400 RPM Drives
by on Nov 14, 2006 at 9:25:11 pm

Good to know , I appreciate it. I hadn't thought about the battery life.

Thanks,

Dave Potts

Return to posts index

Bob O'BrienRe: MBP 7200 RPM vs. 5400 RPM Drives
by on Nov 17, 2006 at 12:10:32 pm

Received my 17" MacBookPro two days ago... with the standard 5400 RPM HD. Seems to run very fast. No problems running Final Cut Pro. I'm using an external drive for storage though.

After loading Photoshop and the whole Final Cut Studio, I still have about 90 Gb remaining on my HD.

Bob

Return to posts index

DavePottsRe: MBP 7200 RPM vs. 5400 RPM Drives
by on Nov 22, 2006 at 3:39:10 pm

Good to know, I'm picking mine up from the store tonight!

Dave Potts

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]