MAC OS X: Forum

pc to mac--need advice

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
eyecamiam
pc to mac--need advice
on Nov 5, 2006 at 1:33:30 am

What is the easiest way to get pc data/apps (widows xp) on to a new Imac? Does anyone have experience with bootcamp vs. Parallels? Can the new Mac read external USB drives that were formatted for PC? Can the old pc tower be used as an external drive like a second Mac can? via ethernet? Any experience/advise appreciated.

OSX 10.4.7; Quicksilver Dual 1 gig; FCP 4.5, 3.0.4; Sony camcorder vx2000/pd170; write professionally for a variety of media;teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Gunleik Groven
Re: pc to mac--need advice
on Nov 5, 2006 at 8:06:05 am

Bootcamp runs natively, more or less like "any" pc. You will need a 3-button mouse, though.
For heavy use, I'd recomend an usb keyboard as well, as the keystrokes can get annoying (in either case).
Parallels runs within OSX.

For "pro" use and gaming of XP, bootcamp is the way to go - but you'll need to reboot.

For Office-use - parallels is a no-brainer.

Both work like a charm.

Gunleik

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
Re: pc to mac--need advice
on Nov 5, 2006 at 4:33:42 pm

Thanks. What's the best way to transfer the files to the mac, and the best organization for those files? I assume that files that can be read by OS X apps should just be put in the usual places. Can you just transfer the entire 'my documents' folder to the user folder? Then install XP and the Windows apps from the original discs?

OSX 10.4.7; Quicksilver Dual 1 gig; FCP 4.5, 3.0.4; Sony camcorder vx2000/pd170; write professionally for a variety of media;teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]