MAC OS X: Forum

if I move to an intel mac do I need to mac sure all of my apps are universal binary first?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd George
if I move to an intel mac do I need to mac sure all of my apps are universal binary first?
on Oct 25, 2006 at 7:16:59 pm

Hello everyone

this question may be somewhere on the forum so sorry if you are answering this for the umteenth time

anyway I have 2 Powermacs G4 notebook and a G5 desktop
I am running FCP Suite
combustion 3x
lightwave8x
cleaner6x

and a few other apps made by smaller companies/individuals

if I get a new mac do I need to get all of the universal binary instal disks

also whats the worst case scenario if by chance I cannot get a universal binary version of a certain piece of software, will it still run on the new machine

thanks in advance for any help

take care

Todd George
Instructional Media Services
John Carroll University
University Heights, OH 44118

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: if I move to an intel mac do I need to mac sure all of my apps are universal binary first?
on Oct 25, 2006 at 7:56:31 pm

You will have to "crossgrade" the Final Cut Suite. The non-universal "pro" programs won't run on an Intel Mac. Assuming you have the Final Cut 5 Studio pack it will cost you $49 to do so:

http://www.apple.com/universal/crossgrade

As for the other 3 programs, I don't know. For me, the Adobe and Microsoft programs are the only non-universal programs I still have and they run fairly well on my Intel Mac so I'd assume those 3 programs would work about the same. Some companies are offering free updates to make the program universal and others make you upgrade to the next version.

You should either search those company's web sites or just call them and ask. If you find they have universal updates, great. And assuming you find that they're not universal but CAN run then you should be fine to do so. You'd get performance at LEAST as good as your G4 machines if they're being emulated and at LEAST as good as the G5 if you can get universal versions.

Return to posts index

Tony!
Re: if I move to an intel mac do I need to mac sure all of my apps are universal binary first?
on Oct 26, 2006 at 10:37:09 pm

The biggest reason not to go with a Intel Mac right now as I see it is because many/most of the plugins for After Effects, FCP and other applications will not work at all. I believe many of the plugin companies are waiting until Adobe gets its act together and updates the major apps to universal. Other than that new Intel Mac's are awesome. If you don't use a lot of plugins, and your sure that the applications you need will run acceptably (most do - some need to be updated), then go for it.

Tony!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]