MAC OS X: Forum

migrating to mac

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Saeed Faridzadeh
migrating to mac
on Oct 7, 2006 at 6:31:36 pm

Hi
I recently purchased a macmini as a go between machine between my PC workstation and clients who use final cut codecs. I also have a 5 year old PC that I use for email, internet, writing, music, and other net related stuff. Problem is it's old and running on it's last legs.
The macmini is new and although I didn't intend to use it as an everyday machine, it's looking more tempting.
My question is related to Outlook. I've been using Outlook for YEARS. Is it possible to import all my outlook stuff into the default OS X mail, Ical, and address book programs? I know of entourage, and I hate it. I refuse to use it. I much rather use the "simpler" programs.
thanks

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: migrating to mac
on Oct 7, 2006 at 7:37:38 pm

hello...

last i have seen from apple, you cannot import outlook (not express - express you can import) pst files into os x mail. there might be 3rd party utilities for this, but i don't know of any personally. you could consider using thunderbird on os x for mail - it has a very nice junk filter and can have outlook boxes imported into it. so in theory, then, if you couldn't find a solution to get outlook into os x, you could install thunderbird, import outlook into it and then import from thunderbird into os x mail...

as for calendar, etc., ical uses pretty common calendar standards underneath (icalendar to be specific). i have never exported calendar info from outlook to ical, but i am pretty sure it can be done (http://outlook2ical.sourceforge.net/ is a open source project that claims to do it, for example). someone else here might have more info on that...

(note that i spend equal time between windows, os x, and unix, but i am not as useful on the outlook questions as i could be because i basically don't use outlook because it's too unsecure for my tastes - i only add this so that it can potentially lend some expertise to my answers above :-)

hope that helps a bit!

sitruc

Return to posts index

Saeed Faridzadeh
on Oct 7, 2006 at 11:25:39 pm

i think can export into pst format from outlook. I'll have to play around with that.
Also, another idea. I could transfer my contacts using my Treo 650, that'll also tackle the calendar.
Let's see how seamless this is.

Return to posts index

Saeed Faridzadeh
on Oct 7, 2006 at 11:25:52 pm

Oh.. thanks by the way

Return to posts index

Saeed Faridzadeh
on Oct 8, 2006 at 10:35:42 pm

So what I ended up doing for future reference..

On the Mac side I downloaded the Missing Sync for Palm OS program, and synced my treo 650 via bluetooth (very effin cool), and got my contacts and calendar to sync onto my mac. It didn't transfer the categories for contacts, so I DID have to manually organize or rearrange the contact into the right categories. Didn't take too long. No biggie. Calendar needed about 10 minutes of manual fixing, but it wasn't too painful.

Now... email.. almost 6 years worth on the PC.
Using outlook there was no easy way to import these. So I downloaded Thunderbird for PC, and imported all my outlook settings from there. I then went into the Thunderbird profile folder and shared it on my network.

On the mac side, I installed Thunderbird, and draged the TB profile I had shared on my pc, and ploped it into the TB profile folder on my mac. Almost flawless! Very happy with the results.

Now I was hoping to be albe to import the emails into OS X default email program, but that's a little rough to figure out it seems. And for now, I'm fine with using Thunderbird, so i'll leave well enough, alone.

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Oct 8, 2006 at 11:40:43 pm

hello...

cool! you should be able to export from thunderbird and then import into os x mail, but if you're happy then you're happy...thunderbird has a better spam filter anyway, and i use it on the pc side and have been very happy with it myself...

thanks for filing the way you did things! :-)

sitruc

Return to posts index

Saeed Faridzadeh
on Oct 9, 2006 at 3:44:15 am

Well eventually I would like to at least try to import into OS x Mail program.
But for now Thunderbird is fine. At least it's all on the mac.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]