MAC OS X: Forum

I have lost my password and I can not even log in

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ElotroI have lost my password and I can not even log in
by on Sep 24, 2006 at 3:52:48 pm

As I said in the tittle I can not log in. You can imagine why: I do not remember my own password.
I was trying to install a new system on an old ibook, when before I was starting the computer asked me the password. I did not remember I even have one, probably because i disable the need in the preferences. Anyway I tried a few times, and I even tried to create a new account, but the only thing I got was a frozen computer.
Now when restarted, the ibook asks me to log in, which it did not do before, and so I can not even start with the old system.
The good news (and I hope the are good enough) are that I do not need to archive and install the new system.
So my question is: Can anyone tell me a way to install a new system from scratch, even if I do not remember the password?
Any help would be appreciated.
El otro.

P.s. I also tried to restart holding the "c" key to use the new system disc, but it does not work.

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: I have lost my password and I can not even log in
by on Sep 24, 2006 at 9:42:23 pm

Visit this page:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106156

...and search for the section on "Resetting the original administrator account password."

It involves starting with the CD which you said didn't work, however. Where did that OS X disc come from? Did come with a different Mac? If that's the case it will only work with that particular model of machine. You need an OS X disc that either came with the iBook OR an off-the-shelf disc (Tiger, Panther, etc.) as they sell them in stores.

Return to posts index

ElotroThank you very much
by on Sep 25, 2006 at 10:46:45 pm

I followed the instructions and the problem was fixed. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]