MAC OS X: Forum

New 750 GB Seagate HD.. i want this to be my start up disk

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dog food
New 750 GB Seagate HD.. i want this to be my start up disk
on Sep 20, 2006 at 10:45:15 pm

I have this new seagate 750 GB HD. I have installed it into the "B" port of my power mac G5 dual 2.5.

I am now copying all the data from my 250 GB maxtor drive (start up disk) onto my seagate drive. Then I plant on telling OS X to make the seagate drive my new startup disk.

My concern is this:

1. will all the applications copy, FCP, MS WORD, ilife etc.. ??

2. I had a warning that some items are not "copyable" the original disk had 116 GB of data.. The copying amount is 113.5 GB of data.. This means that 2.5GB of data are not transfering to my new SEAGATE drive..

any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: New 750 GB Seagate HD.. i want this to be my start up disk
on Sep 20, 2006 at 11:51:10 pm

You're going to get stuck. You can't make your new drive the primary startup disk without OS X installed on it and if you install OS X on that drive now it will erase everything you've just copied to it.

There's a couple of different ways to go about this, but I'd suggest getting Carbon Copy:
http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

Make sure everything is still ok on your old drive, then erase the new drive. Use carbon copy to clone the A drive onto the B drive. At this point, create a folder on the "A" drive. Because both drives SHOULD be the same at this point, you should make a folder on drive "A" so you can be certain which drive you're looking at from now on.

Then go into system preferences and pick "Startup Disk." Restart using the other drive. Check for that folder you made, if you restarted correctly it should no longer be there! If you can restart and you can determine that everything works, you can then use Disk Utility (in APPLICATIONS/UTILITIES) to erase the "A" drive.

Return to posts index

dog food
on Sep 21, 2006 at 12:01:01 am

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!!!

TO BAD THE GUY AT THE MAC STORE NEVER MENTIONED THIS AND SAID MY METHJODOLOGY WAS SOUND UG!! LOL

With Carbon COpy, will I need to install OS X onto the new drive? Or just RUN carbon copy?

thanks again

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Anyone used CARBON COPY??
on Sep 21, 2006 at 12:05:26 am

I have never actually used Carbon Copy although I've heard lots of people suggest it in the past.

I would suggest that you wait and see if anyone else can respond to this post who has actually used CC. As far as I KNOW, you'll only have to make the copy and you'll be good to go.

But like I said, I've never done it. If someone else comes along with more knowledge on the subject that might be better. I'm pretty sure that what I've told you is 100% right, it's just that I've never DONE it myself. If no one writes back I'd suggest trying it, but you might as well wait a day and see if anything else gets mentioned.

Return to posts index

Andy Edwards
on Sep 22, 2006 at 6:17:12 am

You could also try SuperDuper:
http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

I use it as backup software to clone my drive before a system rebuild. Been very happy with it.

Big thing to remember here....test,test and re-test your drive clone before wiping out your old hard drive for extra space.

Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]