MAC OS X: Forum

DVD drive update-now G5 dead....

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Frazier
DVD drive update-now G5 dead....
on Sep 13, 2006 at 9:31:22 pm

Recently, I started having problems burning DVDs from DVD Studio Pro. After chasing many possibilities, I replaced the Sony DVD burner with a Pioneer DVR-111D. To my dismay, the system profiler showed that this drive is unsupported for burning. Googling this issue took me to a couple of other forums where some other folks were experiencing the same issue. Based on recommendations posted, I attempted to use DVRFlash (no luck), then tried PatchBurn 3. Now when I attempt to start the mac, I get the gray screen with the "You need to restart your computer...." message, but repeated attempts only get me to that same screen.

What have I done to myself?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Mark

Return to posts index

Mark Frazier
operating in zombie mode
on Sep 13, 2006 at 10:40:26 pm

Never mind - at least for now. Restarting another half-dozen times after resetting PRAM seems to have it running again. I'll see how long that lasts.

Mark

Return to posts index

Mark Frazier
Dead again
on Sep 14, 2006 at 6:35:58 pm

I had to restart the computer, and I'm back to the gray screen of death. Any suggestions??

Thanks!

Mark

Return to posts index

Harry Pallenberg
Re: Dead again
on Sep 14, 2006 at 11:54:48 pm

Pull the DVD drive out... see if the system is stable...

Thanks,
Harry.

Forum Cowmunity Leader: OSX
Forum Cowmunity Leader: Indie & Doc

Dual 1.8 G5 ** 1GB ** 10.4.1

Return to posts index

Rennie
Re: DVD drive update-now G5 dead....
on Sep 19, 2006 at 6:30:22 am

I just blew my oa7 in my dual 2gig and when the locals wanted $170.00 for a pioneer dvr-110 which I read have some issues I decided to buy a pioneer dvr-111 for $40.00!!!. I didn't do the research you did though, I just assumed apple uses pioneer -right? so surely it would work. I installed it and when I went to open the tray the silver curtain on the G5 case opened and the tray started to come out but then it hit the top of the openning on the G5 case. I took the burner out and compared to the old one and sure enough the tray is 1/8th" thicker than the old drive. Since these things will work sideways and my floor ain't that level I took out the 2 front mounting screws that act as 1/8th" spacers and that lock into the neat little lever locks that the G5's have to allow us to replace them so easily. This did it, the drive sits down enough in the front for the tray to open through the slot in the G5 case. I only have the 2 rear spacer mount studs now to lock into the rear lever locks and hold the drive in place so I wedged a piece of dense foam on the top of the drive to add some stabillity when I move the computer around and I used a small piece up there so as no to block the air flow needed for cooling. I burned 4 discs using "best" speed and I've also watched 2 movies and everything is working great. Even the menus and response time when you put a disc in seem really fast. So far it seems like a great drive. I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I have the latest updates installed from apple.

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
on Sep 20, 2006 at 2:50:14 am

[Rennie] "when I went to open the tray the silver curtain on the G5 case opened and the tray started to come out but then it hit the top of the openning on the G5 case. I took the burner out and compared to the old one and sure enough the tray is 1/8th" thicker than the old drive."

I bought my DVR-111 from OWC (Other World Computing). They thoughtfully included a sheet instructing users installing it in certain G4's and all G5's how to pop off the front door (so it will clear the front doors) and how to properly install it in these towers. They also have online instructions and video for installation of this drive in various Macs. Think it was around $50 or so in July. Just posting this as a repeatedly satisfied OWC customer.

Return to posts index

Rennie
on Sep 20, 2006 at 6:23:07 am

[Chuck Reti] "They thoughtfully included a sheet instructing users installing it in certain G4's and all G5's how to pop off the front door (so it will clear the front doors) and how to properly install it in these towers. They also have online instructions and video for installation of this drive in various Macs."

Hi Chuck, thanks for thew info. Are they saying remove the door on the G5 or remove the panel on the front of the burner tray? I can see removing the door on the G5 case as there are so many holes in the mesh around it, it surely would not introduce any extra dust or be a prob for cooling. I wouldn't want to remove the front of the tray as that could allow dust into the burner. The OWC link didn't work and I scouwered their tek support for instructions for a G5 but found none.
Maybe I should just leave well enough alone as it works good now. Glad to hear others are using this drive in their G5's too.

Return to posts index

icedogg
on Sep 19, 2006 at 10:42:07 am

Try this link http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MTOS... it worked for me!

Yesterday's History, Tomorrow's a Mystery, Today is a Gift

Return to posts index

Rennie
on Sep 19, 2006 at 6:07:41 pm

What is the actual brand of this drive or does MCE actually manufacture it?

Return to posts index

Mark Frazier
on Sep 19, 2006 at 6:22:16 pm

Without yanking the drive out, all other material leads me to believe it's actually a Pioneer.

Referencing your earlier post about the door problem, I had the same thing happen when I installed it in my G5. I removed the drive, took off the plate on the front of the drawer and stuck the "bumper plate" from the original drive onto the front of the drawer (the original didn't have a typical front plate - it was smaller and had rounded edges, I assume to make sure it would open the plate on the G5 case.)

Thanks for the response.

Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]