eyecamiam
long post, serious problem, need help
on Aug 24, 2006 at 4:00:44 am

System; Dual 1 gig quicksilver
1.5 ram
External firewire drive attached.
Sony DSR-11 VTR attached.
PCI 800-firewire card installed.
Recent clean install of OS x 10.4 and clean install of all apps.
Ilife 6 installed from CD.
Used software update to bring 10.4 to 10.4.7 and Ilife to 6.0.2

Had a few kernel panics. A little over a year ago I went through these while still under warranty. Last time, it got really bad until the computer was not operational. By the time Apple repair was done they had virtually replaced every major component

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
Re: long post, serious problem, need help
on Aug 24, 2006 at 4:19:54 am

I used a freeware app Temperature monitor and got 46 and 44 Celsius on the two hard internal hard drives.

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-Thies
on Aug 24, 2006 at 3:38:19 pm

I would buy an apple care protection plan if I were you....

The SMART status verified is a good sign, if it says anything other then that be worried....

Personally I use iPulse for temperature readings.... but as long as your fans don't die you should be ok.... remember temperature is a big killer of HDs, so the cooler you keep your computer the better...

As for the freezing I would remove each of your added PCIe cards and see whether that stops the problem, when you find the culprit go to the manufacturers website and see if you have the latest drivers, if you do talk to the manufacturer and see what are the know compatibility issues....

Simon Carlson-Thies,
Digital Light Graphics And Animation

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
on Aug 24, 2006 at 8:17:26 pm

I bought the PM in 3/02 so I don't think I can get apple care any more. The temperature of two internal drives has remained very consistent at 43-44 degrees C and 45-47 degrees C according to Temperature Monitor. I hear the main fan running, but I heard it when the tech guy told me an internal fan had died. I haven

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-Thies
on Aug 25, 2006 at 2:06:48 am

I bought an apple care protection plan on my iPod after warrenty when it randomly died... I'd give it a try... talk to apple they may let you...

As to the update go for it... it couldn't hurt... I don't think the temperature is out of the safe range although you may consider seeing if you can keep cool air running over it... this can help preserve the computers life...

Simon Carlson-Thies

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
on Aug 25, 2006 at 2:20:25 am

Thanks. I'll call Apple on plan. One trip to the shop will pay for it and this will be a fine second computer when I move up to the next generation. I'll try the combo updates.

How do you suggest I keep the computer cooler? The ac vent is pointed towards it in the office. It's on top of the desk not underneath with hot air trapped around it. Are you suggesting getting some kind of additional fan? Also do you know of any way to check the internal fans?

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-Thies
on Aug 25, 2006 at 2:29:27 pm

A lot of overclockers... will put their computers in an AC duct to blow cool air in the vents... but you should be ok, as to checking your internal fans check what the temperature is supposed to be in your computer and just monitor that, if it gets about what is normal or safe then your fans aren't doing their job.. beyond that sound... is the best indicator...

Simon Carlson-Thies,

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
on Aug 25, 2006 at 7:29:24 pm

How do monitor the temperature of the box? Temperature Monitor gives me a read out of the hard drives using smart. But what software will give me the internal box temp? FWIW no more crashes or panics. Aside from leaving on the dsr-11, I also turned off the sleep/spin down mode except for the monitor. I use an external drive for my media even with Imovie and I suspect that it was sleeping and waking up in the middle of operations and might have caused some of these problems. Again just a guess.

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-Thies
on Aug 25, 2006 at 8:35:18 pm

Your computer is supposed to take short processor naps, that conserves power and preserves the life of the components... to monitor internal temperature you can use a bunch of programs I use iPulse... but there are a lot of them...

Simon Carlson-Thies,

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
on Aug 26, 2006 at 12:05:21 am

I've tried two different programs and they both read that the G4 doesn't have an internal temp. sensor. Is this true? They both read the temp of the two hard drives. I set the system sleep time to 3 hours. Is this ok? I'll turn it off if I'm doing a long render.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]