MAC OS X: Forum

drag file onto photoshop icon won't open

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dogfather
drag file onto photoshop icon won't open
on Aug 16, 2006 at 8:48:18 am

When I drag a file onto the photoshop icon in the dock, photoshop application opens but the file dosn't this also happens when I double click on a native photoshop file, is there any way to fix this? I'm running OSX Tiger 10.4.6

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: drag file onto photoshop icon won't open
on Aug 16, 2006 at 10:30:20 am

Did you install Photoshop from the original disc or did you just drag the application icon off of some other hard drive and put it in the application folder?

That method usually works with most OSX programs, but with Photoshop you'll run into little problems like this. I'd try re-installing it from the CD directly.

Let me know if that's what you've already done and we can examine other areas...but this is my first guess.

Return to posts index

dogfather
on Aug 16, 2006 at 1:21:28 pm

Don't know as I'm a freelancer and I'm working on this mac for a while, I'll have to see the admin staff and find out, but if i can't get hold of the original disc is there anyway around this

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
on Aug 16, 2006 at 1:39:05 pm

I found these two links that seem to be talking about the same thing as you:

http://experts.about.com/q/Adobe-Photoshop-1028/t-drag-drop-open.htm

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/329996.html

They both seem to suggest either re-installing or putting a particular file in from another Mac with Photoshop loaded on it. See if either of those pages leads you anywhere useful.

Return to posts index

Mattness
on Aug 16, 2006 at 3:32:59 pm

I had this problem on one of our machines and following this advice from one of the two articles you found fixed it:

You're missing a scripting file called Adobe Unit Types. It belongs in a folder called ScriptingAdditions, which is found in the root level library on your hard drive. The path would be [your hard drive name] > [Library] > ScriptingAdditions. Check this folder and if you don't have Adobe Unit Types, check your Previous System folder's root library from your clean install. If you find you do have Adobe Unit Types, first quit all applications (especially Adobe apps). Then just drag Adobe Unit Types from your Previous System Folder's Scripting Additions folder to your new ScriptingAdditions folder. (And if for some reason you don't have a ScriptingAdditions folder, you can create one. Be sure NOT to put a space between the two words -- make the name ScriptingAdditions.)

After you've done this, I'd restart your machine

Return to posts index

dogfather
on Aug 17, 2006 at 9:57:20 am

Cheers Thanks for the all info, lead me in the right direction , sorted it out, Didn't have the adobe unit type file many thanks

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
on Aug 16, 2006 at 10:30:20 am

Did you install Photoshop from the original disc or did you just drag the application icon off of some other hard drive and put it in the application folder?

That method usually works with most OSX programs, but with Photoshop you'll run into little problems like this. I'd try re-installing it from the CD directly.

Let me know if that's what you've already done and we can examine other areas...but this is my first guess.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]