MAC OS X: Forum

Lost all my Bookmarks in Safari??!

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stu aull
Lost all my Bookmarks in Safari??!
on Aug 14, 2006 at 8:37:11 am

Changed the User Name (the one with the house-icon) on my iMac G5 (10.4.7 tiger) and all our bookmarks in safari dissappeared (except default one that come with computer)
HELP!?!
Thanks!
Stu Aull
ALASKA

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-Thies
Re: Lost all my Bookmarks in Safari??!
on Aug 14, 2006 at 1:43:20 pm

How did you go about changing the user name?

Simon Carlson-Thies,
Digital Light Graphics And Animation

Return to posts index

Harry Pallenberg
on Aug 14, 2006 at 4:33:08 pm

Can you change it back? Or log into that account?

Thanks,
Harry.

Forum Cowmunity Leader: OSX
Forum Cowmunity Leader: Indie & Doc

Dual 1.8 G5 ** 1GB ** 10.4.1

Return to posts index

stu aull
on Aug 14, 2006 at 6:25:15 pm

Jeez- I've actually lost ALL my emails and access: Outlook screen is empty, no incoming emails, old ones all gone. Likewise our address book software "In Touch" has no addresses in it...!! Its like a whole new computer! I found our basic doc files, personal photos, etc.
WHAT I DID:
The computer came to us with the user name "valuedcustomer". Last night I found if you CONTROL-CLICKd on that name on the main Harddrive menu there was an option to change the name, so I did, to my wife's name (her computer - she's about to have me killed). Then I noticed our Safari bookmarks disappeared, I went back and changed it back to valuedcustomer, but no go. So I shut it off for the night and here we are...
It looks like I have changed the User List or some such, but how to restore it all???
help!
Stu Aull

Return to posts index

Kathlyn Lindeboom
on Aug 14, 2006 at 8:53:09 pm

[stu aull] "I've actually lost ALL my emails and access: Outlook screen is empty, no incoming emails, old ones all gone."

Most email programs have an "import Mail" function. I don't have Outlook, but I do have Entourage and it has an Import under the File menu as well.

Try this: Open your email program. Find the Import function. In Mail, it's under the File menu -- then click on that. See if it will navigate you to the folder containing your emails. Should still be on the computer somewhere.

Kathlyn Lindeboom
The Mistress of Mmmooooo!

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-Thies
on Aug 14, 2006 at 9:32:23 pm

I would also look in your root level of your HD at your User Folder and see if there is still a file with the old user name, if so I would check and see if the files are in there...

Simon Carlson-Thies,
Digital Light Graphics And Animation

Return to posts index

stu aull
Re: Lost all my Bookmarks in Safari??! (changed the Home file name)
on Aug 15, 2006 at 6:37:11 pm

Hi all -thanks for replies!
I have now "discovered" that it is a BIG no-no to change your home-user Folder name. Why apple would even allow the option without some sort of big effing warning is a surprise... ;p
anyway - I have found most all the files - I knew they were in there - the Problem is:
How to restore it all???
Stu Aull
thankful for the help in
Alaska

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]