MAC OS X: Forum

2 different OS on one computer?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jean Gindreau2 different OS on one computer?
by on Aug 11, 2006 at 4:47:28 pm

Recently we had a 250 gb hard drive crash and an authorized apple dealer replaced it unable to save any of the video on it. Since we've had our computer back it's been kinda goofy and slow. Today when I went to start it up I got the kernal panic message and would only let me start up in safe mode. I did a little research on Apple support and then realized we have 2 operating systems installed - 10.3.9 on our existing 250 hd and 10.4 on our new one. Is this OK? Which one should I use to start up? Where should everything be? Applications, video files, OS? On the same or different hard drives?

Return to posts index

zrb123Re: 2 different OS on one computer?
by on Aug 11, 2006 at 10:23:28 pm

"Recently we had a 250 gb hard drive crash"
"10.3.9 on our existing 250 hd and 10.4 on our new one"

Mabie it just me but you said that your 250gb drive crashed, yet then you said that 10.3.9 is on your 250gb drive and you can boot from the OS on that drive.

are you still booting off of the saposably crased drive, because that dosnt sound like a crashed drive to me

Return to posts index

Jean GindreauRe: 2 different OS on one computer?
by on Aug 13, 2006 at 1:45:09 am

No this the new 250gb hard drive installed by an apple certified guy.

Return to posts index

Tony!Re: 2 different OS on one computer?
by on Aug 12, 2006 at 7:57:02 am

It is fine to have two different OS's on different drives like that. However, unless you need to run some old software or hardware, I would update the OS 10.3.9 drive to the latest version (be sure to repair the permissions and the drive using Disk Utility first). You applications should be on which ever drive you use as your startup drive. Video needs to be on a different drive than your startup drive or you will have performance problems (dropped frames, etc). The safest thing maybe to reinstall all your applications onto the newly installed OS 10.4 drive, then erase the other drive and use it for your video files and/or backups (you can even backup your OS using an application like SuperDuper, Carbon Copy cloner, or Retrospect to the second drive).

Tony!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]