MAC OS X: Forum

lacie drive won't mount

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tullialacie drive won't mount
by on Jul 28, 2006 at 10:28:42 pm

Hey--

I've been working for months on a film project using FCP and After Effects. I have media on three different external lacie drives; two (250gig) stay hooked up to my G4; the third (500 gig) goes back and forth between me and my director. It contains everything. And today it disappeared.

I was copying a bunch of files (maybe too many at once? Not sure if that was the issue) from one of the smaller lacie drive to the 500 gig drive and the copying failed, and then most of the media disappeared from the drive, and then the rest of the media disappeared, and then I restarted and the drive wouldn't mount. I disconnected the other drives, reconnected the problem drive directly to the computer (it had been connected through a 6 port hub), restarted again and nothing.

I tried disk utilities verify and repair; nothing.

A friend poked around with Norton, nothing.

I bought disk warrior, and when I tried to use it, I got the message that it doesn't support the invisible drive, which confuses me, since I read posts from a bunch of people recommending it for this problem.

I'm on system OS 10.2.8

I'm now going to post this, and shut down for a while, then restart. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-ThiesRe: lacie drive won't mount
by on Jul 29, 2006 at 12:03:22 am

Ok number one I would never keep media strung out over all those drives, the two 250gigs I would stripe them together, and then use the 500gb separately. Also if this is a G4 tower have you maxed out you internal bays?
If not I would try taking the 500gig drive that won't mount and assuming it doesn't have a USB connection on it that you can try. I would remove the 500gig from its enclosure and put in an empty bay in your computer and see if that works, if it does verify the disc and then restore your data if necessary. Then try a new enclosure and go from there. If your on a laptop go to a new enclosure and you can also try a new cable. And lose the hub until you get it working.

Hope this helps....

Simon Carlson-Thies,
Digital Light Graphics And Animation

Return to posts index

Jeffrey StonerRe: lacie drive won't mount
by on Jul 31, 2006 at 4:01:03 am

i have a nearly identical problem. have a lacie 160GB porsche firewire drive that decided tonight that it doesn't want to mount.

tried the usual stuff -- rebooting, unplugging, etc. ran disc utility and it says the disc need to be repaired. the repair doesn't work. the disc spins up, the light is on. just won't mount.

i do not want to erase this disc if possible, and putting it in an internal bay isn't an option.

help!

Return to posts index

by on Jul 31, 2006 at 12:33:47 pm

replace the FW cable if that doesn't work replace the FW bus, which means get a new enclosure....

Simon Carlson-Thies,
Digital Light Graphics And Animation

Return to posts index

Jeffrey StonerRe: lacie drive won't mount
by on Jul 31, 2006 at 1:52:34 pm

forgive my ignorance, but exactly how would i go about putting the drive in a new enclosure?? can i buy enclosures? is this something i would be able to do or would i need a tech to do it? putting it in my bay isn't an option.

thanks!

js

Return to posts index

by on Jul 31, 2006 at 2:37:28 pm

Look online I get mine from cool drives, then its pretty easy if you can install ram you can do this... and cool drives gives instructions on how to install the drive in their enclosures.

I have done this with many drives and never had a problem...

Simon Carlson-Thies

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]