MAC OS X: Forum

G4 computer is Hot Hot Hot

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
markG4 computer is Hot Hot Hot
by on Jul 27, 2006 at 5:02:33 pm

Hello,
I turned on my G4 last night and wow it was hot. It had only been on for an hour I put my hand up to where the power cord was and it was to hot to touch. I opened up the G4 and the only thing that was scorching hot was the power brick. Anyone else run into this? Could it be the cord? Obviously i'm going to have it looked at but i'm first going to plug it in here at work and see if it heats up again. I know this is not a MAC OX question but I didn't know where else to post this question. Should I get the power brick replaced?

thanks

Return to posts index

zrb123Re: G4 computer is Hot Hot Hot
by on Jul 27, 2006 at 6:44:17 pm

your power supply is probably going out
dont plug it in to long any heat can effect other parts of the computer and make them go bad

Return to posts index

Chuck RetiRe: G4 computer is Hot Hot Hot
by on Jul 28, 2006 at 3:29:32 am

How are the cooling fans operating (normally, on all the time, not on)?
Have you opened the case recently and made sure all airways and fans are not clogged up?
I recently installed a drive in my G4 MDD and while its chest was cracked open, I brushed, canned-air blasted and vac'd a good layer of accumulated crud from the perforated screen where the air enters the unit at the front, behind and below the "portholes," and also the logic board fan and the Radeon video card's fan. A good bit of preventive maintenance whether or not this cures your particular problem.

Return to posts index

markRe: G4 computer is Hot Hot Hot
by on Jul 28, 2006 at 4:40:50 pm

thanks for your help. I'll give it a whirl

Return to posts index

RennieRe: G4 computer is Hot Hot Hot
by on Aug 17, 2006 at 6:55:38 pm

My g4 DP 450 got so hot it melted the apple logo off the door on the outside. That was some video I was editing... Actually I think I was encoding a dvd. I sprayed compressed air on it (it was the proccessor itself) and then used ice on the outside and then shut down when I got it cooled off. It still made the burnt smell for the next couple of times I powered up but eventually it corrected itself and it has run for a coulpe of years since then (minus the plastic apple logo now missing off the side)

"everything is broken"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]