MAC OS X: Forum

"stuttery" system sound...

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mortimer heathcliff"stuttery" system sound...
by on Jul 12, 2006 at 7:24:08 pm

all was well yesterday, today i turn on my computer and all audio plays back "stuttery". i first thought it was just in FCP, so i trashed prefs, but no change. but the same thing is happening if i just play a QT file in QT Player...

any ideas??

thanks for helping out a bonehead!

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-ThiesRe: "stuttery" system sound...
by on Jul 12, 2006 at 7:55:44 pm

By stuttery do you mean static in the sound or like bits of the sound is dropping out?

Do you have a sound card other then apple's default... any external speakers?

Simon Carlson-Thies,
Digital Light Graphics And Animation

Return to posts index

Tony!Re: "stuttery" system sound...
by on Jul 12, 2006 at 7:55:55 pm

Just a couple things off the top of my head:

Make sure the correct output device is selected in your System Preferences > Sound > Output tab. If you've installed any new codec's try removing them to see if that helps (they can conflict). Also, check your Quicktime preference settings in the System Preferences and make sure QuickTime Pro is still registered there. Try something other than Quicktime music like AIFF or MP3. Make sure any media (video, audio) is on your media drive and not your startup drive.

Tony!

Return to posts index

mortimer heathcliffRe: "stuttery" system sound...
by on Jul 12, 2006 at 8:26:20 pm

everything checked out alright here...EXCEPT the QT Pro registration. when i went there in the prefs, "Apple Pro Apps User" was in the username box. does this expire after a year or something???

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-ThiesRe: "stuttery" system sound...
by on Jul 12, 2006 at 8:35:47 pm

No, the registration only changes at big updates like QT6-7...

Simon Carlson-Thies,
Digital Light Graphics And Animation

Return to posts index

by on Jul 12, 2006 at 9:51:04 pm

Tell us what Mac, OS X version, Quicktime version, FCP version

Return to posts index

mortimer heathcliffRe: "stuttery" system sound...
by on Jul 12, 2006 at 10:07:58 pm

wow, Tony, thanks for the very thorough post. i'll print this one and keep it. (by the way, how does one "repair permissions?").

well, after i trashed the FCP prefs again and restarted all is well...

i dunno...

Return to posts index

by on Jul 13, 2006 at 12:22:24 am

[mortimer heathcliff] "by the way, how does one "repair permissions?""

Repairing the permissions is part of most of our normal regular OS X maintenance routines. You just open Disk Utility, select the start up drive and select the "Repair Permissions" option on the bottom of the window. You should always do this before and after any major installations or updates (especially OS X updates). You'll also want to repair your drive fairly regularly (and before/after updates), but you'll need to startup off your installer disk or another drive to do the repair. If you want to buy Disk Warrior http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/ it does a better job of repair the drives than Disk Utility, but its not mandatory.

I hope that helps, glad you got your audio problems solved. Trashing the prefs and caches in FCP is a fairly common task. Once you get your settings/prefs back how you want them, I suggest duplicating the prefs and keep a copy somewhere else so you can restore your settings quickly if you need to trash them again in the future. Or better yet, just download and use FCP Rescue http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14729

Tony!

Return to posts index

zrb123Re: "stuttery" system sound...
by on Jul 13, 2006 at 8:42:18 pm

Have you tried restarting the computer

Return to posts index

zrb123Re: "stuttery" system sound...
by on Jul 13, 2006 at 8:42:19 pm

Have you tried restarting the computer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved