MAC OS X: Forum

Owenrship & Permissions

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stevecOwenrship & Permissions
by on Jul 7, 2006 at 8:05:38 pm

Hey there. I have a couple of external firewire drives hooked up to my system and want to know how to restrict access to them to just my account.

I have 2 accounts mine which has administrative privelages and has a password on it and a second setup for freelance editors, guest user and no password.

I don't want the freelance account ot be able to access these external drives.

Thanks

Steve Cohen

Editor

O2 Production Studios

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: Owenrship & Permissions
by on Jul 7, 2006 at 8:13:49 pm

hello...

if you look at the root folders on the drive and right-click (or ctrl-click) on them and do get info, there is the ownership and permissions area - expand down the details area for that and set the permissions as you've described here. i assume that the freelance user isn't in your group, but if they are, set up group and others to either read only or no access and then give yourself full control...

that should do the trick...

sitruc

Return to posts index

stevecRe: Owenrship & Permissions
by on Jul 7, 2006 at 8:41:29 pm

Thanks;

I don't know if they are in my group. I don't think they are, how would I tell.
I don't recall setting up any groups.

Thanks

Steve Cohen

Editor

O2 Production Studios

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: Owenrship & Permissions
by on Jul 7, 2006 at 8:57:25 pm

hello...

by default, os x puts admins in the admin group and others get their own group based on their name, i believe...if you only have 2 users, best to just set the permissions to full control for admin and group and either no access or read only for others - then try logging in as that other user and see if you can see the drive contents...

sitruc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]