MAC OS X: Forum

New Dual system Macs?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim
New Dual system Macs?
by
on Jul 6, 2006 at 11:16:51 pm

How seperate are the two partitions? I am wondering about the sharing of files between the two OS setups.

Like now...I get a lot of Powerpoint files that I have to save out on my PC desktop unit as Tiffs to use in Final Cut projects on my Mac Desktop...because I have two seperate systems.

Once both OS's are on one machine...how much will the seperate OS's "read" files and utilize them between themselves?

With what I do...I end up using the best of both worlds...once they are combined into one machine...will I have better utilization or more frustration?

Tim Baker
Chameleon Mobile Video Productions
(239)849-3295
"It is not the light at the end of the tunnel that we should seek...it is the courage to take the next step in the dark that we must find."

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: New Dual system Macs?
on Jul 7, 2006 at 2:16:13 pm

This is from the Apple website:

During installation, the Windows XP installer asks me to format the Windows partition using NTFS or FAT. Which should I use?

If the partition is 32 GB or smaller, you can use either FAT or NTFS. If it's larger than 32 GB, then you can only format it using NTFS. Mac OS X can read and write FAT volumes, but only read NTFS volumes. Refer to the Windows XP documentation if you are not sure which best suits your needs.
= = = =

This means that FAT32 willl let OS X write to the Windows drive. I know for a fact that that works. Unfortunately, I'm not positive, but I don't know if Windows can see OS X!

If someone here can tell you otherwise, great, but if not I think your best bet is to buy a 1 GB flash drive and just use that to put files on and off of as you restart. Also remember that boot camp is still a Beta program. Once OS X.5 comes out next year I'm sure this kind of thing will be MUCH more streamlined. So any workaround you figure out might only have to last you a few months.

You can read the whole Boot Camp FAQ here:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303572#faq0

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]