MAC OS X: Forum

Stupid question

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
MattycStupid question
by on Jun 27, 2006 at 10:38:31 pm

I've been on OS X for 4 years now, I should know this. Is there a way to have all windows default to list view?? In OS 9 and other eariler ones you could go into the view menu and there was an always view as list/icon/ etc option. Is there a way to do this in X?
-mattyc

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: Stupid question
by on Jun 27, 2006 at 11:27:21 pm

I can't think of a way to change that system-wide, BUT I have facts that might help:

1) I find that, more often than not, once you set a particular folder to a certain view, it will stay that way the next time you open it.

2) Hitting Apple-2 changes a finder window to list view.

So my advice is to just get in the habit of hitting Apple-2 every time you open a folder. It may take awhile, but eventually you'll find you don't have to do it anymore. Not the best answer, I know, but it's something to try.

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: Stupid question
by on Jun 27, 2006 at 11:45:35 pm

hello...

they offer the column view as a default in finder preferences but not others - it is sort of odd. here's their article on how to train your computer to use your "preferred" view, which would in your case be the list one...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106898

sitruc

Return to posts index

Tony!Re: Stupid question
by on Jul 3, 2006 at 8:53:53 am

You need to change to the view you want and then close the window. The next time you open it, it should default to whatever view it was in when it was when last closed. A weird system, but I think this might help you.

Tony!

Return to posts index

MattycRe: Stupid question
by on Jul 3, 2006 at 4:36:53 pm

Yes i know that folders will default to whatever you have set them as. I just wanted to know if there was a setting somewhere to always view as a list. In previous OS's there was an option in the view menu that was something like, "always view as..." or something like that. Which is handy. Most all the folders I use are now defaulted to list b/c i have done them manually, but new folders i create or are created for me via programs are created icon view. It's not that big of a deal, but i just didn't know if I had missed something.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]