MAC OS X: Forum

Bootcamp on Two Harddrives instead of partitions

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jwedit
Bootcamp on Two Harddrives instead of partitions
on Jun 21, 2006 at 8:34:03 pm

I was wondering if anyone knows if its possible to install windows via bootcamp on a 2nd hard drive as opposed to a partition. Once the new Mac Pro desktops come out this will be a real concern, and I'm sure everyone would be happy to keep windows seperate from OSX. Any one have any ideas on this?

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: Bootcamp on Two Harddrives instead of partitions
on Jun 21, 2006 at 8:47:31 pm

I'm really not sure at all.

But I'm wondering why this would matter. The files ARE seperated using the partition method. You can create, format, and erase the windows part without altering the OS X part in any way. How much more seperate do they need to be?

Return to posts index

jwedit
on Jun 21, 2006 at 9:32:46 pm

Well I agree they are separate. But it would be nice to have say , two separate 250 GB HDs. That way if you want to reformat one of the drives, or one of the drives fails you will only lose one OS. I know you can reformat a partition when reinstalling windows instead of a drive, but I just feel like its cleaner to keep it separate. Plus with Vista coming soon, anyone who installs XP will likely be reinstalling and reformating when vista comes out.

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-Thies
on Jun 22, 2006 at 4:35:31 pm

I have hear other people express an interest in doing this, but I have never heard that anyone has done it, my guess is that you' d have to use a workaround to make it work. I would suggest trying it normally using boot camp, then try formatting the drive as windows volume and see if boot camp takes it...

Simon Carlson-Thies,
Digital Light Graphics And Animation

Return to posts index

Tim
by
on Jun 28, 2006 at 6:56:29 pm

How seperate are the two partitions? I am wondering about the sharing of files between the two OS setups.

Like now...I get a lot of Powerpoint files that I have to save out on my PC desktop unit as Tiffs to use in Final Cut projects on my Mac Desktop...because I have two seperate systems.

Once both OS's are on one machine...how much will the seperate OS's "read" files and utilize them between themselves?

With what I do...I end up using the best of both worlds...once they are combined into one machine...will I have better utilization or more frustration?

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-Thies
on Jul 11, 2006 at 3:19:35 pm

For what you want to do I think you'd be better off with Parallels software...

Simon Carlson-Thies,
Digital Light Graphics And Animation

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]