MAC OS X: Forum

Can't connect 3 computers together via hub using OSX (a real mind bender)

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Muresan12Can't connect 3 computers together via hub using OSX (a real mind bender)
by on Jun 21, 2006 at 1:42:05 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to connect 3 computers to each other over a local network. Each computer is connected, via ethernet cable, to the same hub. 2 of the computers are working fine. 1 isn't.

Here's the problem: on this 1 computer that isn't working, i'm unable to connect to the other two computers on the server. When i open up my finder window, and click on the "Network" icon on the left, i see that the other two computers are connected. But when i double click to connect to one of the computers, i get an error message saying that it was unable to connect.

The strange part about this is that when i'm on the other two computers, i can connect to the 1 that is having the problems and mount it on my desktop.

I've changed my settings around on all the computers multiple times: File Sharing On, Appletalk On, etc. No Luck.

So i ran disk utility, and i think i found the problem, i just have no idea how to fix it. Here's what came up when i ran "Verify Disk" under First Aid:

Checking Catalog File
Illegal Name (highlighted in Red)
Checking Catalog Hierarchy
Checking Volume bitmap

The volume render one needs to be repaired. (highlighted in Red)
Error: The Underlying taks reported failure on exit. (highlighted in Red)
1 HFS volume checked. (highlighted in Red)
Volume needs repair. (highlighted in Red)

I talked to someone who recommended that i try changing the name of my hard drive, because it originally had an underscore in it, but that didn't work.

Anybody know what this technical error could mean? I'm trying to set up a render farm and i'm stalled until this is fixed. THANK YOU A TON FOR YOUR HELP.

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-ThiesRe: Can't connect 3 computers together via hub using OSX (a real mind bender)
by on Jun 21, 2006 at 5:16:00 pm

Did you repair the disk in disc util?...

If that doesn't work go and run fsck...

If that doesn't work get something like tech tool and run that...

one of those options should fix the problems

Simon Carlson-Thies

Return to posts index

muresan12Re: Can't connect 3 computers together via hub using OSX (a real mind bender)
by on Jun 21, 2006 at 8:10:53 pm

would you be able to elaborate more on these programs?

fsck?

tech tool?

and would reinstalling hte whole system help, or is it definitely an internal error?

Thanks again, your help is really appreciated.

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-ThiesRe: Can't connect 3 computers together via hub using OSX (a real mind bender)
by on Jun 22, 2006 at 1:07:26 am

do you know how to boot into command line?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106388

boot into single user mode at the prompt it will tell you how to run fsck, which a unix disc util... keep running it till you don't get any error messages... if there is still a problem then use tech tool pro. if you have journaling enabled, you get a set of unimportant messages, check out apple support for those.

when it finishes reboot

if that does not work check out tech tool pro
http://www.micromat.com/
this should fix it, if fsck can't or if you don't feel comfortable in command line...

Simon Carlson-Thies,
Digital Light Graphics And Animation

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]