MAC OS X: Forum

What's the third-party version of Boot Camp called, anyone remember?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron LindeboomWhat's the third-party version of Boot Camp called, anyone remember?
by on Jun 20, 2006 at 5:58:39 pm

Hi All,

I am going to be getting my new MacBook Pro and wanted to add Windows XP Pro to it and I can save $100 if I use one of my old copies of Windows 2000 as an upgrade path for getting to XP Pro.

Boot Camp won't support the older OS's (if I actually need to install these things as part of the up-grade process) but I remember that there was a third-party tool that allows for 2000, etc., to be installed on the MacBook Pro.

Anyone remember what that tool is called?

Thanks,

Ron "Hey, it's $100, dammit" Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: What's the third-party version of Boot Camp called, anyone remember?
by on Jun 20, 2006 at 6:01:52 pm

hey ron...

i thnk this is the product you're thinking of?

http://www.parallels.com/en/products/workstation/mac/

and heck - it's only $50 for now - get it while it's hot! :-)

sitruc

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: What's the third-party version of Boot Camp called, anyone remember?
by on Jun 20, 2006 at 8:08:11 pm

Hey Mighty Curtis,

Yes, that's the one! Thanks for the link. I appreciate it.

Hope all is well with you and The Other Kathleen. ;o)

Have fun, Mighty One.

Ron

Return to posts index

Mark SloanRe: What's the third-party version of Boot Camp called, anyone remember?
by on Jun 21, 2006 at 4:56:24 pm

You should also know that this software is VERY different than boot camp. Boot camp makes you reboot your computer so that you are ONLY running XP. In essence, you have a PC laptop completely at that point. Everything runs natively and straight forward.

Parallels software uses virtualization to run Windows, Linux, etc. IN OS X. This means you are running multiple OSes at once and you will have a bit of a performance hit. Nothing like how Virtual PC was, but you can tell the difference between rebooting using Boot Camp and running Parallels.

For most people that simply want to run 1 or 2 PC programs the parallels software is great though there are still USB and other little issues. If you want to do gaming or high performance windows stuff or are getting conflicts, then Boot Camp is the way to go but you are currently restricted to XP.

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: What's the third-party version of Boot Camp called, anyone remember?
by on Jun 21, 2006 at 5:45:48 pm

Mark pretty much says it all, but if you're the type who likes little charts to back up an argument, you can find everything he said here:

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2990&article=Apple+Bootcam...

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: What's the third-party version of Boot Camp called, anyone remember?
by on Jun 21, 2006 at 11:48:22 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Mark. Since what I really want to do will end up allowing for a bit of a performance hit (most of the time), I will go with the Parallels software. Also, when I need sheer brute force for some of my music programs, etc., I will just reboot in BootCamp.

Thanks again for the information, Curtis, Mark and Jeff. I knew I'd get the right answers from you guys.

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: Word of Caution...
by on Jun 25, 2006 at 6:30:13 pm

Also, when I need sheer brute force for some of my music programs, etc., I will just reboot in BootCamp.
============

I am not 100% sure, but I THINK that the Microsoft registration program will count the Boot Camp Windows and the Parallels Windows as two different computers. In other words, you would hava to buy TWO copies of Windows to do this and remain legit with MS.

Now, this isn't an actual decision on the part of MS, it's just a byproduct of the fact that Windows will probably "see" the hardware differently in each case and determine that it's on 2 different machines. I cerainly don't see anything wrong with using Windows this way, I'm just warning you that the whole "register this software with Microscoft" feature might...I dunno, "do something?" I only have 1 Windows machine so I have no idea what happens when you put the same copy of Windows on 2 machines. Maybe it's nothing. But if it DOES do something, I'm just warning you that you might trigger that feature with this plan.

Perhaps google can help you figure out what, if anything, Windows does in that situation. Hopefully it's nothing, I ceratinly don't think you're running afoul of the software agreement, so hopefully the software won't complain about it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]