MAC OS X: Forum

Any ideas on a new system purchase?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Carlson-ThiesAny ideas on a new system purchase?
by on Jun 19, 2006 at 5:31:37 pm

I am looking to pickup a new desktop computer,

I am thinking:
(Quad Core G5, Nvidia Quadro 4500, 4Gb of non ecc ram, x2 500Gb discs)

any opinions on whether to wait on intel?

It seems to me that this system with 64bit capability should do well for quite a while... since I do a combination of scientific apps, and video apps, and 3d modeling...

Thanks

Simon Carlson-Thies

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: Any ideas on a new system purchase?
by on Jun 19, 2006 at 6:07:31 pm

This is the hardest question to answer right now. I usually base my answer on two bits of information you haven't given me yet:

1) What computer are you using right now?

and

2) What are that computer's shortcomings? i.e. How much longer can you stand to live with it?

Both of these questions boil down to this little saying: "If you NEED a computer right now, get a computer right now." That's just as true now as it ever was. If you're working on an etch-a-sketch right now then yes, go out and get a G5. It will serve you well for years to come and you won't regret it.

But if you have an "ok" computer right now...one that gets the job done, even if it is a little slow, then I'd suggest waiting. Try to make it to 2007. The Intel Powermacs will probably be here late this summer...try to wait for January or whenever they get slightly upgraded or improved upon and buy THAT model.

So obviously those are the two options you always knew you had, but if you can answer those 2 questions up there it might help you figure out which one is best for you.

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-ThiesRe: Any ideas on a new system purchase?
by on Jun 19, 2006 at 6:25:20 pm

Thanks...
My main issue with intel, is that there is no 64bit support, which means on the scientific end of things... its not as good, and at the moment, the Quad Core out performs the intel macs by a lot, esp on the math end, also I have a lot of work put into optimizing on altivec.

And from what I can tell, intel's plans on the 64bit end are a future that may be sometime coming...

I am not too concerned about the software end ie lossing compatibility since apple will have to hold onto universal binary for about as long as classic at least...

The other really big issue is that two pieces of software I use Combustion and Photoshop are not on intel, and those I need good performance on... no matter what...

As to the first question the computer is not essential... right away... I could wait till 2007 not a problem...

Its just that I don't see 64bit coming out by then on intel and at the moment 64bit is worth a lot for my current projects... and future ones...

the quad core seems to be the best balance for scientific, video, and animation...

Simon Carlson-Thies,
Digital Light Graphics And Animation

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: Any ideas on a new system purchase?
by on Jun 19, 2006 at 6:48:02 pm

I think you've made your choice then!

If you're hoping that someone here can point to a big flaw in your plan or something like that I would say not to worry. I can't think of any big reasons for you to not go with a G5. There are lots of tiny things on either side of the scale but it sounds to me like your "G5 side" of the scale is far heavier.

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-ThiesRe: Any ideas on a new system purchase?
by on Jun 19, 2006 at 7:20:27 pm

Thanks, and yes I was more checking whether anyone saw any major flaws in my reasoning...

So thankyou...

Simon Carlson-Thies,
Digital Light Graphics And Animation

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]