MAC OS X: Forum

All data lost!!! Help

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy TaplinAll data lost!!! Help
by on Jun 13, 2006 at 2:17:52 pm

Just booted up my G4 1.25GHZ which has 2 internal drives (one is the boot drive) and 2 firewire drives attached. All files on all the drives apart from the boot drive have dissapeared.

The drives are empty! That's 600GB of data that's just vanished. The only thing I can think of is I'm using Personal Backup from Intego for backing up data, mostly in the background and it seemed to be taking ages to repair permissions yesterday. But it wasn't backing up on all the drives.

I'm trying Techtool pro to recover the data but I need to understand what happend...

Help if you can, thanks.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Simon Carlson-ThiesRe: All data lost!!! Help
by on Jun 13, 2006 at 3:13:29 pm

Can you give some idea of what you were doing before you lost your data...

Simon Carlson-Thies,
Digital Light Graphics And Animation

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-ThiesRe: All data lost!!! Help Cont...
by on Jun 13, 2006 at 3:29:04 pm

My first guess would be a corrupt catalog file... and if thats the case you should stop what your doing run disk utility and verify the disk, if it say corrupt catalog then see if you can repair it, if disk util can't then try tech tool...

If it is a corrupt catalog it is important that you don't alter the HD, until you repair the catalog because you finish off killing your data real fast...

You might also try running Hardware Test...

Simon Carlson-Thies,
Digital Light Graphics And Animation

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
Andy TaplinRe: All data lost!!! Help Cont...
by on Jun 13, 2006 at 4:02:47 pm

Thanks. I'll try your suggestions. It feels to me like a strange system wide OSX problem to wipe everything?

Andy

Return to posts index

cowcowcow
Andy TaplinRe: All data lost!!! Help
by on Jun 13, 2006 at 4:00:53 pm

I wasn't doing anything before shutting down yesterday except running a backup which I quit because it was taking a long time to repair permissions - seemed fishy at the time. It seems very odd that all the drives have been wiped across the whole system except the boot disk.

Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]