MAC OS X: Forum

La Cie firewire drives die!

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
markyyyy
La Cie firewire drives die!
on Jun 8, 2006 at 9:54:43 pm

I don't know if it's a problem from the mac or if it's the La Cie drive that are no good...but we had over 7 drives ranging from 150 gigs to 500gigs, and since november they all died... the same problem all the time... you plug it in (or when you boot), you get an error saying "Unable to initialize the drive" then we have the option to initialize, ignore, or eject...

I bought disk warrior, because they advertising that they can fix anything!!! yeah, right... they can even access the drive because they don't know which format it's in!

As anyone had this problem... should it be directed to La Cie, Apple... do I have to go back to PC...(it never happened when I was with AVID on a PC)...

my config... is..

Powerbook G4, 1.67ghz, 1gig or ram, ATI 128m video card... FCP 5.0

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: La Cie firewire drives die!
on Jun 8, 2006 at 10:05:08 pm

Well, I've heard similar complaints about LaCie drive in the past so it COULD be the drives.

But on the other hand, all 7 going out is really over the top. I'm inclined to think it's the computer.

But on the 3rd hand, I've been using several firewire drives (mostly Maxtor) on my macs for several years and I've only had 1 go bad in all that time. Many other people have had similar luck. So I don't think blaming Macs in general is the right answer either.

What this leads me to is the thought that it's your SPECIFIC computer that's doing something. Perhaps a bad firewire port or something like that is giving these drives a little shock? Or, here's another thought...maybe it's a power adapter? Do you move them around or does the same adapter always stay with the same drive? It's possible you have a bad brick and it keeps getting moved to every drive at some point or another.

I'm pretty sure it's possible to get an adapter to plug a firewire 400 drive into the firewire 800 port. I'd look into that. It should work the same, and if the problem goes away you can have a tech look at your firewire 400 port and see if they can find anything wrong with it.

Or heck, maybe you should have a tech check the ports out BEFORE you try anything else. It's certainly possible there's something wrong with them, but I wouldn't go and abandon your computer. I've never heard of anything like that before, it's certainly not a "mac-problem." It's just an idea that I've come to based on the facts available to me.

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-Thies
Re: La Cie firewire drives die!
on Jun 9, 2006 at 6:25:39 pm

I can't imagine its the drives with seven going down, since I have used lacie drives for years with no problems, I still have one of the orignal USB 1.0 ones and it works as good as new and I have used that for many years. (not anymore of course, FW is so much better) It sounds like your computer is screwing the drives up or your data is.

You should run disk utility on your system... I hope you backed up the data on those drives since you may have to erase them...

You might also try seeing if another computer is able to use them this will tell you for sure that its the computer or the drives...

Simon Carlson-Thies

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]