MAC OS X: Forum

No Firewire??

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
VeniceRobNo Firewire??
by on May 26, 2006 at 5:36:48 am

Hey all, I'm noticing a weird thing with my dual gig, g4.

I have 2 external firewire drives and neither are recognized when I plug them in to either firewire port. Same goes for my ipod. But the external drives ARE recognized when I use the USB, but neither work with either firewire. I've tried 2 different firewire cables as well. Are both of my firewire ports fried? I find it strange that both died at the same time. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rob

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: No Firewire??
by on May 26, 2006 at 3:18:17 pm

hello...

interesting - i couldn't get my ipod recognized by the front firewire port on my g5 - ipod was fine so i figured that it was just a bad cable and i had yet to deal with it...

i have no conclusion really, but i figured i'd log my note as well...

(i don't have any other firewire devices to test with except for a video camera, but i had yet to dig it out and test with that)

sitruc

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-ThiesRe: No Firewire??
by on May 26, 2006 at 4:33:21 pm

Is this the first time that this has happened?

In system profiler when you plug the drives into FW do they appear, or in disc utility, because it is possible that they are recognized but are not mounting on the desktop.

Did you try restarting?

The one time I had a problem like this it turned out to be not a problem with computer but with the external drive enclosure. It is possible that your FW bus on the external drives is bad. But if this is the first time this has happened I would look at software.

Run disc utility on the drives, and repair your HD permissions... then see what happens after you restart...

Simon Carlson-Thies,
Digital Light Graphics And Animation

Return to posts index

VeniceRobRe: No Firewire??
by on May 26, 2006 at 6:41:32 pm

Thanks for the responses..

Yeah, I've done all of the regular quick fixes...Re-boot, disk utility (w/ usb connection), disk warrior, even zapped pram. I used to think it was a problem with the drive...but once I realized that my other external firewire and my ipod wouldn't mount I'm thinking it's either software or a hardware issue with my tower.

I'm not completely sure on the inner-workings of a G4, but are both firwire ports connected somehow?

Rob

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-ThiesRe: No Firewire??
by on May 26, 2006 at 7:06:29 pm

Do you know someone with a FW PCI card, that you could borrow, that woul let you eliminate software as the issue.

Simon Carlson-Thies,
Digital Light Graphics And Animation

Return to posts index

VeniceRobRe: No Firewire??
by on May 26, 2006 at 7:26:19 pm

Really weird thing just happened...So I decided to open up my tower to see if I could replace the FW PCI card myself..and since I had it opened, I decided to blow some compressed air through everything...It wasn't that dusty since I regurarly keep my tower pretty clean..but wouldn't you know, after I powered back up, my firewire ports work again...must've been a lil' dust particle somewhere....

I guess the moral of the story is keep your insides clean...

Thanks for the time.

Rob

Return to posts index

eyecamiamRe: No Firewire??
by on Jun 12, 2006 at 5:49:49 am

Actually, Apple suggests unplugging everything and then waiting a bit and plugging back in. Some how this resets the firewire firmware or something.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]