MAC OS X: Forum

HELP!! with Apple's Backup Application

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron
HELP!! with Apple's Backup Application
by
on May 25, 2006 at 12:03:43 am

I lost a hard drive on my G5 which is being serviced. I managed to use the backup utility to get the data off the drives, but now I need to restore the data and the utility wants to make a "Restored Files" folder. This is not good. What I want is to restore my empty drive to its original state using the Backed up data. I bought a used G5 in the meantime and need to restore.

Any ideas???

Backup 3.1
OSX10.3.9 ---> used G5
OSX10.4.2 ---> backed up data

Media drive/Secondary drive backed up and restored successfully. Just need main OS HD to restore.

Thanks
Ron

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-Thies
Re: HELP!! with Apple's Backup Application
on May 25, 2006 at 6:23:36 am

What did you backup?

Making a complete restore to the orignal state before you lost your drive would mean that you imaged your drive, and archived your data.

Check backups features it may not let you restore the way you are talking about, due to the fact it is an entry level backup solution.

What is the problem with it putting things in a restored folder anyways?

Also try upgrading such that your old and new systems are using the same version of OS X so 10.4.2.

Simon Carlson-Thies,
Digital Light Graphics And Animation

Return to posts index

Ron
Re: HELP!! with Apple's Backup Application
by
on May 25, 2006 at 2:37:31 pm

Thanks Simon. The problem with the restore folder is some of the applications won't launch because it looks for registration info. Not all system files can be replaced via copy/paste, and other critical system files aren't being restored properly. This was clearly designed for music, photos, and other B.S. which restored without problems. A little frustrating.

I'm using Carbon Copy Cloner now to sync an old G4 that has OS 10.4.6. I should have gone this route to begin with!!
I put a little too much trust in Apple on this one. Backup is clearly not ready for Pro use. To its credit, ALL the data is backed up...now we need a "professional" way to restore!!!!

Ron

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]