MAC OS X: Forum

Using an external SATA drive between MAC's and PC's....?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glenn WoilerUsing an external SATA drive between MAC's and PC's....?
by on May 24, 2006 at 5:15:09 pm

I posted this on a different board and they could not help. So can anyone here figure this out?

I have a 400 GB SATA drive in a Zdisk enclosure - USB/SATA, and need to use it with PC's and MAC's. I formatted it from Windows XP (NTFS) and when I use it on a MAC it will only read it. The drive will not let the MAC write to it. It is the same whether used as a USB drive or a SATA drive. I have checked everything I can think of. Other PC's can write to it. How can I format this so I can use it to read and write between both PC's and MAC's? At present the MAC will read but thinks it does not have sufficient clearence to write to it. So I was wondering if there is any parameters that can be changed so the MAC will write to it?

Thanks, Glenn

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-ThiesRe: Using an external SATA drive between MAC's and PC's....?
by on May 24, 2006 at 6:18:16 pm

Not that I am aware of, you need to format it as a FAT or FAT32 volume for your mac to write it.

Simon Carlson-Thies,
Digital Light Graphics And Animation

Return to posts index

cow
Glenn WoilerRe: Using an external SATA drive between MAC's and PC's....?
by on May 24, 2006 at 8:21:17 pm

I had been told that. But... I am using it far video files that bust the file limit of FAT32. No other way? PC's won't read a MAC format will they? Bummer.

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-ThiesRe: Using an external SATA drive between MAC's and PC's....?
by on May 24, 2006 at 9:58:55 pm

You can check around on google if you want? There may be something I am not aware of that would fix your problem.

Simon Carlson-Thies,
Digital Light Graphics And Animation

Return to posts index

Chuck RetiRe: Using an external SATA drive between MAC's and PC's....?
by on May 25, 2006 at 3:42:54 am

MacDrive?
http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive6/

Return to posts index

by on May 25, 2006 at 5:35:32 pm

Thanks. This software will do it. I called them and there is no file size limitation.

Glenn

Return to posts index

reel2reelRe: Using an external SATA drive between MAC's and PC's....?
by on May 31, 2006 at 10:39:02 pm

Glen, I'm looking for an SATA external FW enclosure to use with a 250 GB drive that I swapped out of an iMac Intel (to use it for external storage on the same iMac).

Do you recommend the Zdisk brand? Are you satisfied with it? If you think it would work well for me, could you post the model number? I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks!

Ron, Canada

G5 Dual 2.7 GHz
2 GB RAM
OS 10.4.6
FCP 5.0.4
QT 7.0.4

Return to posts index

reel2reelAnyone....?
by on Jun 2, 2006 at 1:35:20 am

[reel2reel] "Glen, I'm looking for an SATA external FW enclosure to use with a 250 GB drive that I swapped out of an iMac Intel (to use it for external storage on the same iMac).

Do you recommend the Zdisk brand? Are you satisfied with it? If you think it would work well for me, could you post the model number? I'd much appreciate it."

G5 Dual 2.7 GHz
2 GB RAM
OS 10.4.6
FCP 5.0.4
QT 7.0.4

Return to posts index

Glenn WoilerRe: Anyone....?
by on Jun 5, 2006 at 8:52:20 pm

If I had it to do again, I would not have gotten the Zdisk. I think I would have gotten a rear mounted SATA adapter plate that has the SATA connector and a SATA power connector. That way, you can just put a bare drive on top of the case, or behind or on the side resting on what ever you want... and plug it in and away we go. this way you could have multible smaller drives with complete projects on them. Being in to video, this method of storage is really not much different than expensive broadcast tape.

Glenn

Return to posts index

cowcow
by on Jun 5, 2006 at 8:48:19 pm

The Zdisk works. We have 2 now. The fan is making noise in one... after only 20 hours or so of use. I will see how they will deal with me over a fan replacement. I don't think there is any other choice for an external SATA? I would recommend it. BTW, some hard drives like Western Digital as so good that they don't really need cooling. So I could disconnect the fan. But Maxter, and Seagate need the fan.

Glenn

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
reel2reelRe: Thanks
by on Jun 11, 2006 at 7:10:33 pm

Thanks, Glenn...

Post back about the fan problem. Curious to see how they deal with it.

G5 Dual 2.7 GHz
2 GB RAM
OS 10.4.6
FCP 5.0.4
QT 7.1.1

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Glenn WoilerRe: Thanks
by on Jun 12, 2006 at 6:55:13 pm

Well, they gave me an RMA number but before I could send it in, the drive enclosure fell off the top of the MAC and hit a very hard tile floor and the drive just clicks... the sounds of death. Kind of stupid how it happened.... and... the fan is quiet now!!! Oh well.

glenn

Return to posts index

reel2reelRe: Thanks
by on Jun 20, 2006 at 12:01:30 am

[Glenn Woiler] "Kind of stupid how it happened.... and... the fan is quiet now!!! Oh well."

That fixed it, eh? That sucks. I feel for you.

G5 Dual 2.7 GHz
2 GB RAM
OS 10.4.6
FCP 5.0.4
QT 7.1.1

Return to posts index

Glenn WoilerRe: Thanks
by on Jun 20, 2006 at 6:00:58 pm

Got a replacement 400 gig drive. All is well now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]