MAC OS X: Forum

URGENT:How to do a safe and total re-install?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan LangdonURGENT:How to do a safe and total re-install?
by on May 15, 2006 at 2:45:03 pm

I wantn to install Panther, from scratch, on a G4 running Jaguar... What are the safe procedures to do this, assuming that I have already backed up all important files? I need not port any preferences, user prefs, etc... Just a clean and safe install from ground up...

Any advice?

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: URGENT:How to do a safe and total re-install?
by on May 15, 2006 at 3:45:49 pm

So, it's ok to totally wipe away EVERYTHING on the computer, right?

Put the OS X CD in the computer and re-start it holding the "C" key.

When the installation screen comes up click the first 'ok' button (or whatever it is) and you should see a normal Apple-menu bar across the top of the screen. Find the 'Disc Utility' in there and select the system hard drive. Chose the 'Erase' tab, give it a new name and set it to "Mac OS Extended Format" with journaling on. I THINK that there should be an advanced option window you can open where you can tell it to write zeros to the whole hard drive first. That might take an hour but it's your safest bet.

Once that's done go back to the installation part of the CD and do everything it says to do. Once you're up and online, run the System Update in the Apple menu. Restart when it's done and check it again. Do that as many times as you need to until no updates appear in there. THEN install your applications from their original CDs and run System Update AGAIN and restart AGAIN and do that until nothing more comes up.

Then you can finally start customizing your system prefrences to your liking.

That's about the most straightforward, safest, leave-nothing-behind kind of way to do it!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]