MAC OS X: Forum

Your thoughts on new/old G5s

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
FroschYour thoughts on new/old G5s
by on May 11, 2006 at 3:56:15 pm

Newbie apologies up front, but I'm looking for some opinions here.
I need to upgrade from my old G4 to a G5, primarily for FCP and AE. I will get FCP studio once the new computer is purchased.

What I'm looking at right now is a refurbished Power Mac G5 DUAL 2.5GHz (512MB/ 160GB/ 8x SuperDrive/ PCI-X/ Rad9600XT)

Any reason I should go with the latest Intel model, or am I better off getting the Dual? I've heard all about Rosetta, and that video programs haven't been ported to run natively on the intel processors yet. True?

Like I said, I'm just looking for some opinions since I could get a good deal on the older G5. I'm looking for a speedy system that will give me limited headaches.

Thanks,
Scott

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-ThiesRe: Your thoughts on new/old G5s
by on May 11, 2006 at 5:08:17 pm

Look on this forum in the older posts, and on the internet you'll find most everything you want to know about this question...

Simon Carlson-Thies,
Digital Light Graphics And Animation

Return to posts index

FroschRe: Your thoughts on new/old G5s
by on May 11, 2006 at 5:10:25 pm

Right, I'm sifting through old posts which are helpful, but if anyone wants to offer up their opinion circa May 11th, 2006, I'm listening.

Thanks,
Scott

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: Your thoughts on new/old G5s
by on May 11, 2006 at 7:12:08 pm

Do you need this machine right now? The Intel Powermacs won't be out until the end of the summer (at least) but it might be worth waiting for them. I'm not saying you should get one, but if you're going to get an older G5 I'm sure the prices will drop on those once the Intel machines come out!

And FCP is native on the Intel machines right now, but Adobe programs won't be until next year.

Return to posts index

AlexanderRe: Your thoughts on new/old G5s
by on May 11, 2006 at 11:34:35 pm

[Frosch] "What I'm looking at right now is a refurbished Power Mac G5 DUAL 2.5GHz (512MB/ 160GB/ 8x SuperDrive/ PCI-X/ Rad9600XT)"

This machine is way under minimum for RAM

Cheers
Alexander

Return to posts index

Rich RubaschRe: Your thoughts on new/old G5s
by on May 12, 2006 at 2:15:21 am

But beef it up to 4 megs, add a second 250 gig SATA internal and you'll have a rockin machine for quite some time. Make some money with it now and buy another Intel G5 early next year when the second generation machines come out. You'll be glad you did.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]