MAC OS X: Forum

disappearing drive?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
WaterBoy
disappearing drive?
on May 3, 2006 at 9:46:19 pm

OK, i've been a cow lerker/member for about a year... i've posted twice in that amount of time, now two in one day!

here's the deal:

i have an enclosure that has two SATA drives in it. when i begin my work day, the computer only sees one drive, it's the drive on 'channel one.' so i check my DISK UTILITY and sure enough, there's only the channel one drive to be seen. so i open SYSTEM PROFILER and my G5 sees the card (Sonnet X-Tempo) as well as the one drive that DISK UTILITY sees. so i check the enclosure and all lights are showing systems are a go. sooo...

...i shut down everything and reconnect the cables, double check the drives (they're hot-swappable) and make sure everything is there and OK. then i start up the G5 and and only one drive is to be seen... this time it's the drive on 'channel two!?' no i didn't swap the drives or the cables and the external enclosure is all green. then the DISK UTILITY & SYSTEM PROFILER confirm all of what's in this paragraph! so where's the other drive?

also, i had a card in that PCI-X slot before getting the sonnet to my knowledge that shouldn't be causing this problem.

i'm sure it's a simple thing, but i couldn't find anything similar in "search posts." any ideas on what the deal is? i'd like to get my raid going!

hep' me, hep' me... i be hyp-mo-tyz'd!!!

thank you,

e3

e. eric johnson iii
eric@lillcreates.com
lill creates: founder/executive producer
Water Channel: producer/virtual set operator

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-Thies
Re: disappearing drive?
on May 3, 2006 at 11:25:24 pm

Did you try switching the cables? Run disk utility on the drive that appears, then also check in the enclosure make sure there are no bad connections, check the PCI-x card to make sure it has a good connection.

post back with the results...

Hope this helps...

Simon Carlson-Thies,
Digital Light Graphics And Animation

Return to posts index

WaterBoy
Re: disappearing drive?
on May 4, 2006 at 6:44:22 pm

simon, thank you for getting back to me...

finally a mystery that's worked in my favor! suddenly, no cable changes or anything... as i was about to tear open the drive enclosure, the unseen drive appeared!?

for the record, i did all of what you had suggested prior to posting and even had granite digital send me another enclosure. there was a bad tray in the original enclosure, (they "cross-shipped" a new enclosure... good company!) but the new one too? not very likely.

the good thing is, the G5 sees everything now and i've set-up my RAID and life seems to be good!

thank you for the reply and the suggestions!

e3

e. eric johnson iii
eric@lillcreates.com
lill creates: founder/executive producer
Water Channel: producer/virtual set operator

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]