MAC OS X: Forum

installing system on an external firewire drive

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Wotring
installing system on an external firewire drive
on Apr 5, 2006 at 9:06:47 pm

I'm considering installing my operating system and all my applications on a G raid external firewire drive rather than the internal hard drive... any advice? Can i expect that my system will work faster slower? do you think this will make my system more or less stable? are there any pit-falls i should look out for? i just would like to know if anybody else has attempted this.

thanks in advance andrew

Andrew Wotring
Editor

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-Thies
Re: installing system on an external firewire drive
on Apr 6, 2006 at 5:09:10 pm

Don't do it... not a good idea, there will be performance losses, things will be slow, use your internal drive for software and the external for media if your trying do that type of seperation.

Best of luck

Simon Carlson-Thies

Simon Carlson-Thies,
Digital Light Graphics And Animation

Return to posts index

Andrew Wotring
on Apr 7, 2006 at 6:36:24 pm

Thanks for the advice simon? have you tried this? what was your horror story?

Andrew Wotring
Editor

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-Thies
on Apr 7, 2006 at 6:43:20 pm

I have tried it before its fine if you use it as backup, for system repair, but external interfaces are not fast enough yet. Its like running your apps over a network. There is a lot of lag, and overhead, that will make running decent apps tough.

It may be ok if you use FW800 your better off not doing that, not to mention I am not sure whether you want to be tied down that way to an external drive. That was one of the problems I had. Not to mention firewire sometimes can be picky so you just really open yourself up to all sorts of unecessary issues..

Simon Carlson-Thies

Simon Carlson-Thies,
Digital Light Graphics And Animation

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]