MAC OS X: Forum

trying to set up a mac lab would like some advice please

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Georgetrying to set up a mac lab would like some advice please
by on Mar 28, 2006 at 8:48:45 pm

Hello all

I'm just getting started with creating a mac lab here at my job (I work at a college)

right now we only have a handful of machines (all imacs some g5 and some dual core)

here is what I would like to do

1) set it so that only administrators can install sofware, and have access to the internet

2) I do want student workers however to be able to log onto the machines (they do not need individual access)and be able to work with certain software and certain files and ideally be able to save their work on an external hard drive they would access via eathernet

I have a fairly solid knowledge of OSX and how to set up a simple user id based logon system but I have never tried to limit a users access to the net before, is this even possible

thanks in advance for any advice or tips

Todd George
Instructional Media Services
John Carroll University
University Heights, OH 44118

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-ThiesRe: trying to set up a mac lab would like some advice please
by on Mar 29, 2006 at 5:46:58 am

Sure, easiest way don't allow them to access Safari or mail, and don't let them access system preferences, and make sure there are no utilites or menu bar items for internet access avalible use the limitations tab in the account settings to limit the access.

Hope this is clear...

Best of luck

Simon Carlson-Thies

Return to posts index

eyecamiamRe: trying to set up a mac lab would like some advice please
by on Apr 1, 2006 at 5:37:14 pm

I have the same need with mixed results through experimenting. You can certainly prevent students from installing or deleting any apps. Just look over the accounts dialog box. The Internet is tricky though. You can prevent them from launching any browser directly, but many programs have built in access to the net. Students learn the work around. If you did add individual accounts, however, you could easily determine what that student did

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]