MAC OS X: Forum

PC to Mac Hardware Question

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cory McKechniePC to Mac Hardware Question
by on Mar 23, 2006 at 11:29:21 pm

I am selling my PC and buying a Mac and was wondering about a couple of my components (if I could take them with me).

First, I have 2 S-ATA hard drives that i'd like to keep. I believe that I can just format these and they'll be fine, but i wanted to double check. I've also got an extra 15gig IDE that i use mostly for backup ... can i take these? Not sure how many bays are available.

Also, I was wondering about my video card. Do the PowerMac G5's have an AGP slot or is it all PCI-Express? I have an AGP ATI Radeon 9800PRO.

Thanks for any help,
Cory

Return to posts index

Tony!Re: PC to Mac Hardware Question
by on Mar 24, 2006 at 12:12:09 am

All the drives should be fine as long as you reformat them and make sure the jumpers are correct for how you use them (internal/external). Mac's do have an AGP slot, but odds are your card will not work. Check with ATI and see if they have a firmware update to make it work on whatever Mac you are getting (I doubt it). Sometimes, you can find a firmware update someone other than ATI has created that will do the job. Search around the Web and see what you can find. However, having said that, if you're getting a new Mac, then odds are the stock graphic card in it is as good or better than your ATI 9800. Apple also has an option to upgrade to an even better card if you want to spend a little more and buy it from Apple (or a store that does Apple build to order Mac's). I'm talking about Apple towers here and not iMac's or MacBook's - you didn't say what Mac you were thinking about.

Welcome to the "Light" side by the way :)

Tony!

Return to posts index

Cory McKechnieRe: PC to Mac Hardware Question
by on Mar 24, 2006 at 12:33:30 am

[Tony!] "Welcome to the "Light" side by the way :)"

Hehe, thanks.

I'd be looking at a Power Mac G5. Probably the Dual 2GHz, but i'd be open to suggestions as to why the Dual 2.3GHz might be a better option (way too pricey for me to consider the Quad).

The Radeon is a pretty "old" card by today's standards, so I'd probably be better off just taking one of the new NVIDIA cards (gonna have to read up on the reviews to see if upgrading over stock is worth it).

Do you know how many physical drives I can fit in the tower? If I purchase the standard 160GB and bring along my 2x120GB i'd be happy.

Again, thanks for all the help.
Cory

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: PC to Mac Hardware Question
by on Mar 24, 2006 at 12:14:30 am

A new one, right? Not a used one? This will probably help:

http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html

But to quickly run through some answers:

1) The SATA drives will be fine, and yes you'll have to wipe them. You can only fit 2 drives in the case, however, which means you can only add one more. (There are people out there who sell solutions to cramming more in there...but I'd rather just buy an external enclosure and a PCI SATA card.)

2) Given the tightness of the case I wouldn't worry about any other drives. (I'm pretty sure they won't work anyway, but I'm not even going to check since you're out of space.)

3) PCI-Express for the graphics card although I'm nearly certain that video cards are still sold as either PC or Mac versions. So you won't be able to take anything with you here. At least it was that way with my G5, although it's an older model. This is something to ask someone at the Apple store if you can as I can't say for 100% that I'm right. Although if you have an AGP card, again like #2, I guess it doesn't really matter.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 24, 2006 at 12:40:37 am

[Jeff Carpenter] "external enclosure and a PCI SATA card"

Thanks for the help Jeff. Since there's only 2 HD bays total, i'd be most interested in the enclosure solution. Can I buy an external enclosure and mount my drives in it myself or are you talking about buying the enclosure with drives included?

Thanks for the tech specs link as well ... i was just starting to really sift through it, so i think i'm gonna do some reading tonight.

Cory

Return to posts index

Gunleik GrovenRe: PC to Mac Hardware Question
by on Mar 24, 2006 at 12:55:06 am

[Cory McKechnie] " Since there's only 2 HD bays total, i'd be most interested in the enclosure solution. Can I buy an external enclosure and mount my drives in it myself or are you talking about buying the enclosure with drives included?"

Answer: Yes! -;))

Both is possible.

I've (so far successfully) built my own external RAID from a 8 port PCI SATA adapter and an external PC cabinet filled up with disks and fans only.

This is the cheapo way to go, but it works flawlessly for 6 months now.

Gunleik

Return to posts index

by on Mar 24, 2006 at 2:11:10 am

Sounds interesting ... maybe i'll do some investigating.
Thanks,
Cory

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]