MAC OS X: Forum

Quicktime rotation

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris HQuicktime rotation
by on Mar 20, 2006 at 12:21:07 am

Hi-not sure if this is the correct forum for my question, but here it goes.
I have a quicktime .mov file that was built in After effects at 720x1280 portrait format (it will be playing on a TV that's oriented this way). After rendering, I rotate it to landscape in QT and compress with Compressor to an MPEG-2 file.

When I rotate the file in QT, it distorts the aspect ratio, stretching it. I only noticed this because there is a circle in the movie.
It looks fine in the portrait format, I click rotate and bang, it's distorted, strange.
Any ideas? Am I missing something obvious?
Thanks

choop

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: Quicktime rotation
by on Mar 20, 2006 at 2:34:16 pm

I really don't know the answer to this, but my best guess is that maybe the project was created with rectangular pixels and that QT can't display those sidewise and must turn them into square pixels?

I just made that up, but it's something to try...make a new project in After Effects that is using square pixels, put a circle in it, export it, and rotate it with QT. See what happens then.

(And if your original project IS square pixels well...never mind!)

Return to posts index

chris HRe: Quicktime rotation
by on Mar 23, 2006 at 3:42:31 am

Yes, it was the square pixels vs. dv/ntsc settings. Also, the circle was a graphic, so that had to be set properly as well. I still don't really know why rotating stretches it, but at least it looks correct now...
Thanks-

choop

Return to posts index

7_DaysRe: Quicktime rotation
by on Mar 21, 2006 at 10:15:33 pm

I think, what you gotta do is, before you are going to convert it into a quicktime file, go to the quicktime settings, and make sure that they are the dimessions that you want.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]