MAC OS X: Forum

Trojan Horse Virus?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JenniferTrojan Horse Virus?
by on Mar 16, 2006 at 3:25:03 pm

Has anyone ever gotten a Trojan Horse Virus on their Mac? What does it look like, and how can you tell if you have it??

Return to posts index

Tony!Re: Trojan Horse Virus?
by on Mar 17, 2006 at 9:18:13 pm

Nope, and you won't find anyone that has.

Tony!

Return to posts index

JenniferRe: Trojan Horse Virus?
by on Mar 17, 2006 at 10:18:34 pm

That's what I thought - That Macs can't get them - until I got a call from some people I do a website for, who said that their anti-virus software detected a Trojan Horse virus on the site that I created for them (on a Mac). I had a few PC friends confirm this, and after a call to the hosting service, found out that a hacker broke into the site and attached it to the main page. I re-wrote the code, and re-loaded the imaes with different names (and changed all passwords), but in the process was wondering if I had gotten it on my Mac, being that I access the site all the time. Apparently, Macworld says that Macs can now get it:

http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/02/16/oompa/index.php

My Mac has been running a little slow, but I think it's from other things (multiple program usage). Anyhow, I was just wondering if anyone had ever encountered the virus, and what it showed up as on their HD (or how they found it)..

Thanks for your answer, though. I like to think that us Mac users a a clean, virus-free bunch....(!)

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: About that Thing on Your Website...
by on Mar 20, 2006 at 2:31:57 pm

I see that you've pretty much had your question answered by now but I wanted to mention that program that a hacker put on your website.

If your PC-friends' virus-programs were finding it than you probably don't have to worry. A 'trojan' is just a program that runs on your computer. The 'trojan' part refers to the fact that it tricks you into running it by making it look like something it isn't. But the fact is, it's really just an application.

What that means is that if it's made to run on Windows it, just like any other program, probably can't run on a Mac! And visa versa, a Mac trojan wouldn't have much effect on a PC.

As the Intel-transition continues I'm betting we'll see some violations of that rule, but for now it's a pretty safe bet that if your Windows-friends are worried about something, you don't have to be.

Return to posts index

JenniferRe: About that Thing on Your Website...
by on Mar 22, 2006 at 4:41:33 pm

thank you :)

Return to posts index

by on Mar 17, 2006 at 10:19:51 pm

That's what I thought - That Macs can't get them - until I got a call from some people I do a website for, who said that their anti-virus software detected a Trojan Horse virus on the site that I created for them (on a Mac). I had a few PC friends confirm this, and after a call to the hosting service, found out that a hacker broke into the site and attached it to the main page. I re-wrote the code, and re-loaded the imaes with different names (and changed all passwords), but in the process was wondering if I had gotten it on my Mac, being that I access the site all the time. Apparently, Macworld says that Macs can now get it:

http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/02/16/oompa/index.php

My Mac has been running a little slow, but I think it's from other things (multiple program usage). Anyhow, I was just wondering if anyone had ever encountered the virus, and what it showed up as on their HD (or how they found it)..

Thanks for your answer, though. I like to think that us Mac users are a clean, virus-free bunch....(!)

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: Trojan Horse Virus?
by on Mar 17, 2006 at 10:22:49 pm

hello...

[Jennifer] "That Macs can't get them"

it's not that macs can't get them - it's that they're less susceptible to them because the unix underneath is a bit more secure and because people just don't write them for macs because they have 5% of the market, and it's a lot harder for a virus to spread over that size a group of users (and therefore a lot less fun for the virus writer)...

but macs do have security issues, so it's important to keep up on patches and follow the same rules as on pcs - don't download stuff from places you don't know about and in general be as careful as you can with basic security (don't run under admin, disable root, etc)...

sitruc

Return to posts index

by on Mar 17, 2006 at 10:33:43 pm

Thanks, Curtis - And sorry for sending that last post twice (must be that damn Trojan Horse messing with my computer)... :)

Return to posts index

Tony!Re: Trojan Horse Virus?
by on Mar 18, 2006 at 8:19:17 am

Yes, I knew someone would take issue with what I said. Any computer can get a virus or Trojan Horse. But, my response was simply you're not going to find any normal person who's every had one (not in many, many years anyway), so you won't get any responses to your original question, as its just not a problem. Curtis is right that you should take precautions anyway, and that the Mac is a less attractive target to hackers. I do believe the Mac tends to be more secure than other systems right out of the box. If it wasn't relatively secure, there would be some virus' problems even with its small market share in non creative industries (just not hundreds of attempts a day like in the PC world). None the less, keep up-to-date as Curtis mentions.

Tony!

Return to posts index

by on Mar 18, 2006 at 10:37:58 pm

thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]