MAC OS X: Forum

Intel Mac - 32bit - whats happened to 64bit

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rory Hinds
Intel Mac - 32bit - whats happened to 64bit
on Mar 10, 2006 at 5:51:08 pm

hi there

I was reading that the Intel chips in the new Mac's are only 32bit and was wondering what happen to the leap forward with 64bit chips.

This seems a step back to not have 64bit chips or was that just all marketing hype.

Thanks
Rory

Rory Hinds
http://www.whatismine.com

Return to posts index

Mark Sloan
Re: Intel Mac - 32bit - whats happened to 64bit
on Mar 10, 2006 at 6:36:14 pm

Intel isn't releasing the chips that are 64bit that Apple wants to use for a couple more months. Intel just highlighted the chips at a conference this week that will be used in both laptops and future PowerMacs... or whatever the pro macs will be called.

Also, 64 bit chips are generally hotter running and require more power. So even though Apple is going 64 bit in many places, 32 bit makes sense in many places still.

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: Intel Mac - 32bit - whats happened to 64bit
on Mar 11, 2006 at 5:43:43 am

So far they've replaced the Powerbook, Mac Mini, and iMac.

Of those, only the iMac was a 64-bit computer, previously. Given that it could only take 2.5 GB of RAM before and is a consumer-targeted computer, I can't think of a single reason why it needs to be 64-bit. Not even Final Cut Pro gets any advantage from a 64-bit computer vs. a 32-bit. It's most useful for some science applications and super-computer farms, neither of which tend to use iMacs.

I am sure that the Intel Powermacs will continue to have 64-bit chips. The iMac never needed them in the first place...it's just that they only had one version of the G5 chip so that's what they got.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]