MAC OS X: Forum

Is iDVD6 optimised for the new dual core intel macs?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
FaryarIs iDVD6 optimised for the new dual core intel macs?
by on Feb 22, 2006 at 6:36:53 pm

Is iDVD6 optimised for the new dual core intel macs?
and when is the Pro apps going to be optmised for intel macs?
any speed advantages at present ?
thanks for any input

faryar

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: Is iDVD6 optimised for the new dual core intel macs?
by on Feb 22, 2006 at 8:10:53 pm

Yes, all of iLife 6 is Universal (ready for PowerPC or Intel).

The Pro apps will be universal by the end of March. If you have the old versions you can "crossgrade" to them for a fee:

http://www.apple.com/universal/crossgrade/

There shouldn't be any difference between these and the old versions on a G4 or G5, but on an Intel Mac they'll all run faster. In fact, many of the "Pro" apps won't run under the emulation mode at all so you'll have to upgrade to use them on an Intel Mac.

Return to posts index

faryarRe: Is iDVD6 optimised for the new dual core intel macs?
by on Feb 22, 2006 at 8:28:45 pm

thank you
As I understand then, my current version of (Studio suite) FCP 5 and DVD SP will have to be up graded to Universal
and...they simply will not function on an intel mac?
the universal and upgraded vesion (cost $49) will work and is optimised for mac intels...

as well as ILIFE suite 6 is optimised and will run much faster (how much) than before?

thanks again
faryar

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: Is iDVD6 optimised for the new dual core intel macs?
by on Feb 22, 2006 at 8:57:28 pm

You are right on all counts about the Pro apps. If you're going to use an Intel Mac you must upgrade.

As for iLife, it IS faster, but it's impossible to say 'how much' exactly. If you're moving up from 5 then you'll find that it's faster because the apps have all been improved (especially iPhoto). That will be true on any Mac. And if you're moving from a PPC Mac to an Intel Mac then that will also make iLife faster.

So how much of the "faster" is because of the software change and how much is because of the hardware change is kind of hard to split up and figure out. As for an overall, 'how-much-faster' answer, well...I'll be able to tell you once MY new iMac comes...right now I couldn't say! :-)

Return to posts index

faryarRe: Is iDVD6 optimised for the new dual core intel macs?
by on Feb 23, 2006 at 3:18:38 am

thank you.

faryar

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]