MAC OS X: Forum

How do I connect 2 powerbooks to copy files from 1 to the other?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
raju
How do I connect 2 powerbooks to copy files from 1 to the other?
by
on Jan 30, 2006 at 4:43:45 am

I have 2 powerbook g4's, both 17 inch 1.67 Ghz models. one is running tiger, the other one is panther. How do I link the two so i can copy files from one computer to the other.
I hope it's not complicated. I imagine it should be very simple. Please let me know.
thanks

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: How do I connect 2 powerbooks to copy files from 1 to the other?
on Jan 30, 2006 at 5:45:22 am

You can use the ethernet connections of the two Powerbooks to connect them. Probably the easiest way. Or you can buy an ethernet hub and plug them in that way too. Once you're connected then go to the 'Go' menu and choose 'connect to server'. Follow the onscreen instructions and you'll be good to go.

- Don

Return to posts index

raju
Re: How do I connect 2 powerbooks to copy files from 1 to the other?
by
on Jan 30, 2006 at 11:25:00 am

Thanks but I couldn't figure it out. When I goto connect server, I chose "smb://SharedDocs", but I wasn't sure if that was the right thing to choose. And then one computer said error, can't connect and the other computer just kept loading saying "connecting" but was taking too long as if it couldn't connect so I cancelled it. too complicated. I don't know why these powerbooks don't explain anything about how to do this in the Help Menu. It should've been very simple.
Anyway, I accomplished the task by borrowing a firewire drive and copying the files to that and then copying from the firewire drive back to the other computer. Thought I could do it without using an external firewire drive or burning a CD but I guess not.
thanks anyway

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: !! Sorry, There was an easier way
on Jan 30, 2006 at 3:37:46 pm

Ok, well it looks like you finished your task, but remember this for next time:

Hook up any two Macs with firewire. Shut one of them down. Then turn it back on, holding the "T" key the entire time it starts up. That computer will not load OS X, but will now appear on the first computer as an external firewire drive. Do whatever copying you need to do and then shut the external-drive-computer off.

Easy and faster than most ethernet connections!

Return to posts index

raju
by
on Jan 30, 2006 at 5:19:43 pm

thanks, i will try that this evening! I suppose it doesn't matter which computer i designate as the external drive, I should still be able to copy files from either computer to the other one, right?

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
on Jan 30, 2006 at 6:05:58 pm

That's correct.

I usually like to control the computer that I'm copying TO, since after it's done I can open up one of the files in an application to make sure it's ok, but really it shouldn't matter one way or the other.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]