adding a second monitor

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
s!
adding a second monitor
by
on Jan 28, 2006 at 8:29:48 am

Hi all,

I have a mitusbishi dimonad digital LCD monitor connected to my G5. It uses the dvi port from the standard installed video card.

Is it possible for me to add another dvi monitor to the spare port on the video card? Is it just a matter of getting a cable adaptor?

Are there any other set up issues?

Thanks everyone...

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: adding a second monitor
on Jan 29, 2006 at 7:34:37 am

Probably. We'd have to know what video card you have in your Mac to answer for sure.

Actually, before you tell us, look at the back of the computer. Are both ports on the card the same? Look at this photo:

http://www.macway.com/images/products/CARATI0010_3.jpg

The one on the left is DVI, the one on the right is ADC. If you have two DVIs, go for it. It's very possible, however, you have one of each like the photo. If so, it will still work, but you'll need an "ADC to DVI" adapter. It's $29 at Apple.com

Well, before you buy anything, go to the Apple Menu in the upper left and select "About This Mac." Then click on "More Info." Select "Graphics/Displays" and tell us what the bolded card name is on the top. I'm nearly positive that any card you could have will support dual-monitors, but you might want to tell us what you've got just to be extra certain.

Return to posts index

s!
by
on Jan 29, 2006 at 10:47:13 am

Hi there,

Thanks for your help.

You are right. I have a GeForce FX 5200, which has one adc and one dvi. If i get an ADC to DVI connecter, will it be a matter of plug and play?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jan 29, 2006 at 7:43:58 pm

[s!] "If i get an ADC to DVI connecter, will it be a matter of plug and play?"

Yes. Once you have the second monitor hooked up and turned on, your Mac will auto-detect the 2 displays. If, for some reason, Your Mac does not detect the second display you can force it to do so by using the "detect displays" command in: System Preferences>Displays. This command is available in OS 10.4, but even OS 9 had no trouble auto-detecting my dual displays with my Mac G4.

- Don

Return to posts index

s!
by
on Jan 29, 2006 at 10:56:10 pm

Thanks guys!

Have placed the order, hopefully be enjoying the extra space soon!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]