MAC OS X: Forum

Virtual Ram In OSX

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil RadelatVirtual Ram In OSX
by on Jan 27, 2006 at 2:11:13 am

Is there a setting for v-ram in OSX like there was in OS-9? We have a G4 running OS at work who's primary drive is down to 2 gigs free space. I added an additional drive and I want the OS to go to it for v-ram when needed. Do I have to set something for this or is the OS "smart" enough to see it and use it for v-ram? Thanks for any info on this.

Return to posts index

Chuck RetiRe: Virtual Ram In OSX
by on Jan 27, 2006 at 4:07:09 am

You just need more actual, physical RAM. It's real cheap nowadays, and it will always be faster than pagein/outs with Virtual Memory. OS X allocates VM on the fly if/as needed; AFAIK there's no user setting. Back In The Day, OS9 and its ancestors provided the optional abillity to set up disk space for VM, when RAM was hundreds of dollars for a 32MB stick, a 20GB drive was HUGE, and there was a door in front of the CPU to shovel coal in.

Return to posts index

Mark SloanRe: Virtual Ram In OSX
by on Jan 27, 2006 at 6:31:55 pm

Technically you can go into the terminal app and do some Root level stuff to adjust the virtual memory settings, but you are better off leaving it alone. In general, you should leave 10% of your hard disk space free for the system to swap with. If you go under that you might begin to see problems. As stated above, the more RAM you can get the better off you will be.

Return to posts index

Phil RadelatRe: Virtual Ram In OSX
by on Jan 31, 2006 at 12:53:13 am

Thanks for your replies. Well, the system has a gig of ram, and because of it's age we won't be spending any more money on this hardware (the hard drive I put in was a spare). I noticed the system was hanging up a lot (spinning beach ball of death) and thought it may be because the system drive was full and it didn't have enough "breathing space" for the v-ram. Running disk utility didn't help.

No big deal. We're slated for a new roster of machines soon and can finally put this clunker out to pasture. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]