MAC OS X: Forum

OS X and Intel

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George
OS X and Intel
on Jan 19, 2006 at 2:14:08 am

With the new Mac Intel line slated for conversion by the end of the year has anyone considered how this may be a bad thing.

It seems like Apple just converted Tiger to run on 64 bit G5 processors and unleash the power of the 64 bit platform.

Now with plans to migrate the G5s over to Intel won't we be stuck in a 32 bit processor world again?

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: OS X and Intel
on Jan 19, 2006 at 3:41:02 am

Well, we have no idea what Intel chips the next Powermacs will use. Without that information it's kind of difficult to make a guess like that. We'll have to wait and see.

Return to posts index

Tony!
on Jan 19, 2006 at 3:44:06 am

Odds are Apple will go with a 64 bit Intel processors in the new Towers.

Tony!

Return to posts index

Mark Sloan
on Jan 19, 2006 at 6:45:29 am

You just pointed out why the top of the line PowerMacs have not gone Intel. They are waiting for the next version of 64 bit processors from Intel, due in about 4 to 5 months... Intel has not been secretive about this, just look for news on those processors and you will have a good idea when Intel PowerMacs, or MacTowers or whatever they will call them, will be out...

Return to posts index

Tony!
on Jan 19, 2006 at 7:47:34 am

[Mark Sloan] "You just pointed out why the top of the line PowerMacs have not gone Intel. They are waiting for the next version of 64 bit processors from Intel, due in about 4 to 5 months... Intel has not been secretive about this, just look for news on those processors and you will have a good idea when Intel PowerMacs, or MacTowers or whatever they will call them, will be out..."

This is likely and basically what I saying in my post above. The other reason for delaying the PowerMac Towers is that pro users won't buy them right now, because most of the software we need, won't run on Intel Mac's yet. Apple needs to stall until Adobe, Microsoft and others are at least closer to releasing "Universal" versions of their apps (don't forget all the plugins too). At least we'll have Apple's pro applications at the end of March for the MacBooks (hate that name), iMac's and whatever else Apple releases by then.

Tony!

Return to posts index

Riccardo Sinti
on Jan 22, 2006 at 4:07:36 am

I bought a G5 imac right after xmas and it arrived the day they announced the new ones. I sent it back and am not sure I made the right choice. I would get a new one if at least photoshop ran at a reasonable pace. I would like to run After Effects, but that seems unrealistic a hope.
So I went to the Apple Store in my neigborhood to see if Photoshop is fast enough on the new machines and found that the new iMacs dont have PS installed, and I doubt they will. One sales person assured me it would run twice as fast, another seemed to imply that they would not be installing anything that wont run fast on the new imacs.

But the OS was blazingly fast as was safari and iphoto so hopefully Adobe will get out universal apps asap.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]