FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sticky 523PRO lanc controller

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Delarre
Sticky 523PRO lanc controller
on May 16, 2020 at 12:47:36 pm

Hi. I have an old Manfrotto 523PRO lanc controller and have just got it out of it’s bag and am afraid the plastic covers have become sticky and the surface marks easily, as if the plastic is breaking down or degrading in some way.

It has been kept in its original bag for about a year, indoors in a cupboard with all my other rarely used camera equipment. Has anyone had this and what can I do about it. Although the control handle works it is unpleasant to touch and not useable.

Thank you for any assistance.

Steve

Canin XL-H1, XA10, G10, GoPro, FCPX

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Sticky 523PRO lanc controller
on May 18, 2020 at 11:03:32 pm

That's a pretty common problem with older camera gear, where rubberized housings begin decomposing and starting to become both sticky and brittle. As you said they become "unpleasant to touch"... very.

I have an old still camera that suffered the exact same condition. I scoured the Googling machine to see if there was any way to stop it from breaking down further and didn't find any solutions to keep it from progressing. As for battling the "unpleasant to touch" situation, the only recommendations I ever really found were to sprinkle baby powder on it to combat the stickiness. I'll have to admit that I never bothered to try that, but you might give it a go and see if that helps.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Steve Delarre
Re: Sticky 523PRO lanc controller
on May 19, 2020 at 7:10:12 am

Thank you for replying. I contacted Manfrotto and they said pretty much the same, sadly. They did offer to replace the covers, although they warned it would be expensive. Amazing if you consider the age of the KANC controller and how long they have been out of production.

Canin XL-H1, XA10, G10, GoPro, FCPX

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]