FORUMS: list search recent posts

Newbie here..Question on multiple cam setup Canon XA50 and Vixia HF200

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Ritchie
Newbie here..Question on multiple cam setup Canon XA50 and Vixia HF200
on May 5, 2020 at 11:50:31 am

I am an old "still photographer" going way back to 4x5 film cameras. Getting baptized by fire in video here due to the "stay at home orders" I am wondering why i have such goofy video at 53:30 to 53:40 in this video

I am using the XA50 as the main camera (first shot) and then the Vixia Hf200 on a tripod zoomed in for a wide shot of the alter. In my "still world" I would call the alter that is moving (when the priest are standing at alter 53:40) a moire effect. Whatever it is i dont like it and would like to eliminate in the future.

Is it because the camera is zoomed in? lower quality? I am shooting at 24P 1920x1080 on both cameras the B cam is set at 24Mbps the XA50 35mbps.

Im just trying to refine the craft a little bit.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Newbie here..Question on multiple cam setup Canon XA50 and Vixia HF200
on May 5, 2020 at 3:36:36 pm

Well that's super weird. It's definitely not got anything to do with the zooming.

What you are seeing there with the B camera is a much slower frame rate. I was curious enough about it to download the video from YouTube... and while your A camera is 24 frames per second (actually 23.976), the B camera is only 12fps...half what it should be. That is what is giving you that stuttery staccato looking motion and the "swimmy" looking backgrounds.

Now, the bigger question, is, why is that? Is there a camera setting on the B camera where you can set the frame rate? If so, it's too low. You need to set the frame rate the same as the other camera, which is probably 24fps (or 23.976).

Next question... are you recording both cameras separately and then taking the footage from both and editing your finished video? Or are you punching it "live" with a switcher and recording it to some other device?

If you are making two separate recordings, look at the footage from the B camera... when you play it back directly, either on a monitor or using the camera's viewfinder, how does it look? If it looks good and correct, then the problem is not a camera setting, but a problem further down the chain in production... there's an issue with editing somewhere. But if the footage looks stuttery on that direct playback, then the issue is with the camera and some settings there.

If you are punching it "live" and it looks like that, then either you have an issue with a camera setting, or you have a settings issue with whatever switcher you are using. Check the output of the camera first (connecting it directly to a monitor) and see how it looks. If it looks bad, there's your problem and you have a camera settings issue. But if it looks good before it goes into the switcher, then you have an issue with the switcher settings somehow.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

David Ritchie
on May 5, 2020 at 4:28:27 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I watched it directly out of the camera to monitor via HDMI and its not doing the stuttery look.

I am bringing the footage into post seperately, BUT the vixia gives me several clips at 1.90 GB each. I dropped them on the time line and NESTED them and then made a NEW subsequence from it.. Perhaps i should have merged it all together then Rendered, THEN started the editing process?

What software are you using that tells you that portion of the video is only 12FPS?

Thanks!

Canon XA50, Canon HF20, Canon HF200, Adobe CC, Nikon D750, Sony A6000, Zoom H4N,

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on May 5, 2020 at 4:41:17 pm

[David Ritchie] "What software are you using that tells you that portion of the video is only 12FPS?"

Well I just imported the clip into Premiere, where it showed me the entire clip was 23.976, so I put it on a 23.976 timeline. If it toggle through frame by frame during the B camera shoots, it shows me there is only one new frame for every two frames on the timeline... so the frame rate is half that, or 12fps.

Sounds like your footage itself is ok. If you just throw one of the B camera clips raw directly onto a 23.976 timeline and play it, does it look ok? Maybe it does have something to do with the nesting, maybe the nested timeline has the wrong frame rate or something... it's a little hard to speculate remotely.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

David Ritchie
on May 5, 2020 at 6:54:02 pm

I THINK have may have figured out part of the problem. Although the B roll camera is set to 24 FPS at its maximum setting of 24 Mbps It is still outputting a 29.97 frames/second. I have gone through the camera and tried resetting it to factory and have tried a 60i frame rate, and a 24P but ehen checking the file it continues to say 29.97. I know they had an issue with these and the firmware in the past, i assume this is part of the issue. I have tried calling Canon service but they tell me this product is no longer supported. So i guess i have a couple of B rolls that can only shoot at 29.97

Canon XA50, Canon HF20, Canon HF200, Adobe CC, Nikon D750, Sony A6000, Zoom H4N,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]