FORUMS: list search recent posts

Corrupted MXF file - is there any way to salvage even just the audio?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Heyden
Corrupted MXF file - is there any way to salvage even just the audio?
on May 1, 2020 at 10:08:03 am

Hi everyone, first time posting here.

I've have huge problems with a 4K MXF file in Premiere Pro (and elsewhere tbh).

It seems to be corrupted somehow. I can scrub through the interview we shot, so there is clearly information stored there - but everytime I try to export it, it mostly either crashes the whole of Premiere or my computer or whatever other software I've tried in desperation.

I've managed to get the first 1min55s from the interview but then mostly nothing. Clearly there's a glitch/corruption there that is messing with anything trying to read/export it.

However I did once somehow managed to get about 6 minutes of audio (albeit interrupted around the 1.55 mark for a bit). So it's taunting me with the possibility I can salvage more of the audio if possible.

Obviously I'd love to salvage the whole video file but if I can find a way to save just the audio I could work with that because we did shoot a second camera which I can match it with, but it was further away on a 5D so couldn't use the audio from that.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated!

In case useful: File is 47gb (so not easy to send for repair), was shot on C300, let me know if anything else would be helpful.

Thanks

Tom

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Corrupted MXF file - is there any way to salvage even just the audio?
on May 1, 2020 at 3:38:33 pm

Based on your description, I'm willing to bet it is salvagable... if you convert it using Handbrake.

If you don't have it already, Handbrake is an AWESOME utility, easy to use, and totally free....
https://handbrake.fr/

Just try using Handbrake to convert your 4K MXF file to another 4K MXF file and try that one. I'm going to give it a fairly reasonable bet that the new footage will work.

Honestly we mostly still shoot 1080 footage (and edit 1080 projects) with our Canon C300PL... but we do have a bunch of 4K sources (a little Canon XC15, and a bunch of stuff from DJI... Mavic, Osmo, Osmo Pro, Osmo Pocket, etc.). While we can import all the 4K footage from those DJI devices into Premiere, they are very difficult to use, very laggy and will clog the system in a heartbeat. But if I make new files using Handbrake, those work like a charm (with no quality loss, because I make very high-profile conversions). With the little XC15, that generates MXF files but for some reason they won't import into Premiere at all... but if I convert them into new MXF files, those work like a charm. It's weird to me that the conversions work better, even though they are often bigger files than the originals... but they do.

Give it a try.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on May 1, 2020 at 3:43:24 pm

Here's another potential solution... this should have occurred to me as well...

Will the footage play ok outside of Premiere, using something else?... just as the VCL Media Player, or some other utility?

If so, you could play it that way, and use some screen-capture utility to record it as it plays, and generate a new usable file that way.

That's not nearly as easy and elegant solution as simply converting the file into something workable as I mentioned above... but could work in a pinch. IF you can play the file, obviously.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on May 3, 2020 at 9:12:08 pm

virtualdub supports avi repair and its free. you may have to add a video plugin filter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]