FORUMS: list search recent posts

Activate record start/stop to external device without tape running

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kim Bolan
Activate record start/stop to external device without tape running
on Apr 16, 2020 at 5:40:10 pm

I haven't used my Canon XLH1 for a while and I recently purchased a Samurai Blade to record directly from the HLH1 SDI connection to the Blade. I am able to start/stop the recording of the Blade using the XLH1 trigger on the grip via the Lanc connection but the tape must also be running. It seems that there was a menu item that would permit using the hand grip record button without having to run the tape. Might someone know this function?
Thank you.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Activate record start/stop to external device without tape running
on Apr 16, 2020 at 5:56:47 pm

I've had a similar, lower-end setup.

When the tape drive in my old H1 died (for the second time) we started using a FireStore recorder (an older one we bought on eBay). The big difference being that it's just DV, not HD-SDI... but works like a charm. We had long retired this camera but brought it back out to use when needing a really long lens to record some events.

In our case the camera trigger does start and stop the recorder, but does NOT record to tape. In fact, we don't even put a tape in the camera, no point in it since it doesn't record properly to tape anymore.

Are you saying that the Blade can't be triggered unless a tape is running? And that it wouldn't function if there was no tape in the camera at all?

I'll poke around...

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Kim Bolan
on Apr 16, 2020 at 6:47:53 pm

Good Day Todd,
The Blade will activate from itself but if I wanted to be in a run and gun situation it would be nice to activate the Blade from the record button on the XLH1 handle. This requires the Linc. cable. If a tap is not running the record button will not start or stop. I thought there was a menu on/off somewhere but I can't find it in the manual.
Have to agree with you. I don't use the XLH1 often but just can't let it go. No doubt I have my money's worth out of it.
Thank you
Kim

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Apr 16, 2020 at 6:53:44 pm

Hmmm yeah it obviously works differently with mine using the DV connection.

With my setup, we only ever use it with a "studio" configuration, with a separate rocker zoom toggle switch clamped to the tripod handle which connects to the camera via LANC. The on/off button on that switch will trigger the recorder, as will the record buttons on the camera itself. Sorry that yours will not, I do not recall there being any menu settings that we had to change to get that to work.

So, is there any reason not to record to tape at the same time, just to give you back your triggering ability?... even if it's just a junk tape that you put in there to re-use over and over again just to give you the triggering? It's a lot of wear on the heads, but since you have the Blade I don't imagine you have need to record to tape anymore (same as our situation).

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Kim Bolan
on Apr 16, 2020 at 8:14:05 pm

Your correct Todd I can just reuse the tape. The only issue is that it puts time on the heads. I was trying to avoid that.

Return to posts index

Kim Bolan
on Apr 17, 2020 at 4:06:21 am

Your correct Todd I can just reuse the tape. The only issue is that it puts time on the heads. I was trying to avoid that. I also seem to remember I used the fire wire and that may have permitted the on/off without a tape. My controller uses the Lanc so that does not permit the Blade to also be used. I think the best alternative is to activate the Blade manually. This saves the wear on the tape heads.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]