FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon XH G1 and final cut Pro x

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Allan Fowler
Canon XH G1 and final cut Pro x
on Aug 18, 2019 at 2:56:16 pm

Good Afternoon,
I have just uploaded some video from my Canon XH G1 to final cut pro x. After uploading all seemed fine with browsers clips a bit slow and jerky but was happy with that. I started to edit and place clips in the timeline and noticed that the clips were not rendering automatically although it was set up and had been working in the past with no changes to FCP X. Each clip had to be rendered with Ctl R. too render it. After a few experiments reloading FCP X twice on two computers still the same.

Apple was very helpful to me and tried to help as much as they could. We uploaded from and iPhone and that worked fine. I decided to load all the clips into the timeline in any order and then from the dropdown menu rendered all. I then place all clips back into the browser and as they had all been rendered all worked well.

My question is it as Apple said my camera has now become incompatible with FCP X now and will need to purchase a new camera. I see on this forum a few are still using the camera have they found a way around it or do I carry on as I am doing.

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015).
3.1 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
FCP X 10.4.6

Hope someone can help

Harry Fowler

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Canon XH G1 and final cut Pro x
on Aug 18, 2019 at 3:41:45 pm

Hi Harry...

Sorry, but Apple wasn't being "helpful"... Apple was passing the buck.

I look at it much more this way... no, your camera has not "become incompatible" with FCP X (what a ridiculous thing to say, anyway). Rather, it's FPC X that has become incompatible with with the XHG1 footage.

Was there some kind of update to Final Cut? Is the old footage that previously worked perfectly still working perfectly?... not requiring rendering? Knowing that might help clue in the problem.

At any rate, I don't think this is a Canon issue. This is a FCP X issue. I'd suggest hitting up that forum (https://forums.creativecow.net/fcpx) to see if anyone has any answers.

It's also ridiculous for Apple to suggest that the solution is buying a new camera. I can hardly wrap my brain around the idea that they would do that... it's certainly unnecessary and frankly just plain odd that they would say that.

There are all kinds of ways to make "incompatible" footage usable in editing platforms. For example, I primarily shoot with the Canon C300 and have no trouble importing its MXF files into Premiere. But sometimes I use a little Canon XC15 in run-n-gun situations, and those MXF files will not import into my version of Premiere. I simply convert the footage using Handbrake (a great and free program) and the clips work flawlessly. Buying a new camera is not the solution, there are other options.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Allan Fowler
Re: Canon XH G1 and final cut Pro x
on Aug 18, 2019 at 4:33:54 pm

Hi,
Many thanks for the reply so quickly. I will have a look at the other forum and see what they say. I also have handbrake and have used it, so that will be another way. It was just annoying to have to do it.
To be honest its the first time that I have used that camera for about 18 months it's so heavy for and old man like me struggles at times.
I just make videos for fun and family and keep myself busy.

Many thanks for the help it's appreciated.

Harry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]