FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon C300 MkII and external monitor via HDMI

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nels McLaughlin
Canon C300 MkII and external monitor via HDMI
on Apr 18, 2019 at 5:11:54 pm

Hey everyone -

I have a new (purchased in December 2018) Canon C300 Mark II cinema camera, and I am trying to connect it to an external monitor - in this case, a Vizio TV AND a SmallHD monitor. I have a few setups that I'd like to use, but I cannot get the camera's feed to show on the Vizio without also attaching the SmallHD and an HDMI splitter. Here's the deal.

I can successfully view on the SmallHD and the Vizio TV - both connected via HDMI thru the aforementioned splitter (1 in, 2 out). I can also successfully get a camera feed on the SmallHD when I connect it directly to the camera without the use of the splitter. However, I cannot for the life of me get the camera feed to show up on the Vizio by itself. The TV will only work if I have the SmallHD and the splitter attached and turned on. If I have the splitter in and powered on, but only the TV plugged in to one of the two outputs, it doesn't work.

I've tried different camera settings, different HDMI cables in all of the TV inputs and nothing works going directly from the camera to the TV - it always requires the SmallHD and the splitter.

Is there a setting in the camera that I'm missing? Is it a power/HDMI issue? Is it the TV/monitor? H.E.L.P.

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: Canon C300 MkII and external monitor via HDMI
on Apr 18, 2019 at 6:18:19 pm
Last Edited By Blaise Douros on Apr 18, 2019 at 6:18:52 pm

I've had issues getting HDMI signal from an FS7 into certain consumer monitors unless the camera's system frequency is set to 29.97 (or multiples thereof, e.g. 59.94--basically anything but 23.976). If your camera's system frequency is set to 23.976, it could be that your TV will only take a 59.94 signal, and your splitter box is doing a conversion.

Return to posts index

Nels McLaughlin
on Apr 20, 2019 at 2:07:51 pm

I thought the same thing, so I checked and the camera frequency is set to 59.94. Maybe stupid question - the inputs on the TV say 60Hz. I know drop frame doesnt equal non-drop frame, but could this be the issue?

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Apr 22, 2019 at 5:40:49 pm

Nah, 59.94 = 60hz for all practical purposes on consumer equipment. Interesting problem. I don't have any other useful suggestions other than to maybe try other combinations of cameras with the TV, or the C300II with another monitor.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]