FORUMS: list search recent posts

maintaining proper light exposure

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
estevan horta
maintaining proper light exposure
on Sep 12, 2018 at 5:14:09 pm

Hello friends! I am a new filmmaker and hoping someone could offer some advice on this issue I'm having. I'm still confused on how to maintain proper light exposure while filming outdoors for projects such as documentaries. I can generally get the arrow of the light meter in the middle but as soon as I move I'm either way underexposed or vise versa. In "run and gun" situations how do you have continuous shots without having to constantly adjust the aperture of the lens? As soon as I change direction or even zoom in the light exposure changes pretty dramatically. How do you make this less of a headache when constantly having to move around, and not have to record the actual compensation on footage you want to keep? Maybe I'm over thinking this but its something that's causing a lot of stress for me while out filming. I currently am using the canon c100 mark ii. I'm sure this is a rookie question but I'm new so be easy on me. :)

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: maintaining proper light exposure
on Sep 18, 2018 at 8:11:12 pm

Normally, you'd adjust the aperture on the fly--true video lenses have a stepless aperture that lets you slide seamlessly between exposure values without the clicking you get in DSLR lenses.

One other trick is using a variable ND filter that you can ride to change exposure on the fly. Makes dark situations tough, but works well when you have enough light.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]