FORUMS: list search recent posts

HFG 10 File size limit

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Watts
HFG 10 File size limit
on Jul 22, 2018 at 9:54:21 pm

Greetings and salutations..
Just got off of the phone with a potential client. He records a multicamera show with HFG10's. The show is an hour.
Currently he says the cameras will record about 11 minutes at the AVCH setting before it stops and resumes recording. However, a few frames are lost each time this happens. Since there are 8 cameras, and multi cam editing is necessary, this creates a real pain in the... Syncing to the master audio file is necessary.
So, is there a work around to make this camera record a single file for the entire hour?
I'm looking at the manuals and postings regarding this now...
Also, editing will take place on a mac with high sierra.

Thanks

John Watts

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: HFG 10 File size limit
on Jul 22, 2018 at 10:50:54 pm

I don't want to be one of those "I don't know the answer but I'll open my big mouth and chime in anyway" guys (don't you love those?), but in this case I will anyway.

I can't say with 100% certainty (I suppose anything is possible), but I would seriously seriously doubt that there is any possible hack to make the camera record in one single continuous file.

Those are pretty low-end consumer-grade cameras, and those typically aren't too tweakable or hackable... pretty much what you have is what you'll get.

That being said though... multi-camera editing doesn't have to be a pain in the #&(@... it really should be a piece of cake (I don't do it all the time, but frequently enough). Just make sure each camera is recording an audio track (just for syncing purposes, doesn't have to sound great) and it's a cinch to sync 'em up. I think it would take me less than two minutes to sync up an hour's worth of eight-camera tracks just by eyeballing the wav files on the timeline (which is the way I do it)... or use Plural Eyes (which many people use, I don't) to sync them all pretty much automatically.

If you do find a hack for recording longer AVCHD files, pass it along.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

John Watts
Re: HFG 10 File size limit
on Jul 22, 2018 at 11:18:04 pm

Todd,
First, thanks for the time to respond.
I'm pretty sure there is no way to fix the low end camera issue, either. Each time the record restarts though, there is a loss (gap) of a few frames. (You can switch from the AVCHD to an MP4 codec and get longer record times, but, am afraid the quality loss would be noticeable.)
Those few frames cause a lot of lining up clips manually on the timeline and the usual time to get this done is 30-45 minutes according to past editor. Plural eyes is certainly an option I'm looking at hard.
I usually edit FCPX, but, I had to get Premiere due to the AVCHD codec, which has to be converted for FCPX and not for Premiere. And time is of the essence as this is a weekly show with a tight deadline, so conversion times are not acceptable.
I will certainly talk to the client about a camera upgrade somewhere down the line!!

John Watts

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]