FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recommend an all-around video lens for C100?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Neighbors
Recommend an all-around video lens for C100?
on May 8, 2018 at 8:03:35 pm

I'm interested in purchasing a C100 mii or C200, but what has me hesitating is lens options. What lens would you recommend for me?
Price range <$5K

Full-range zoom lens, Good AF motor (able to utilize that dual pixel AF) -but also has the feel of a full manual focus ring (ideally switchable between full-manual and electronic focus ring). Sharp & clear picture, F4 or better, keeps backfocus when zooming, has stabilization, good for run & gun.

I'm typically doing fast run & gun shooting, trying to follow focus on moving subjects, want to be able to get wides and tights without having to switch lenses (in a dark room and can't control the action so changing lenses is impractical).

Thanks for any suggestions.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Recommend an all-around video lens for C100?
on May 8, 2018 at 9:40:34 pm

That's going to be a pretty tall order. I'm interested as well to see what anyone else comes up with.

I'd say the biggest hurdle there will be your focus/autofocusing requirements. There just really are no AF lenses that have the same function/feel of a true manual focus real cine lens. They are just two different animals and don't really coexist. There are some internal-focusing AF lenses that... well, eh kinda feel sorta reminiscent of real hands-on focusing, although in a sort of spongy mushy way (that's the best way I can think of to describe it)... but their manual focusing certainly doesn't feel like real manual focusing on an actual cine lens. If, like me, that's what you are used to focusing with, I don't think you'll find an AF lens that replicates that feel.

We'll see what people say.....

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Tim Neighbors
on May 9, 2018 at 4:06:53 am

Yeah, it seems that pretty much every canon video shooter I know is using L-series lenses, which are still photography lenses. I love the look and ergonomics of canon cameras and their AF is so good I might actually use it, but lenses are the obstacle for me.

Answering my own question, this lens may be the best option if wanting both AF and manual focusing:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1246187-REG/canon_1714c002_cn_e_18_8...

...but it leaves much to be desired.

I suppose I could adapt this lens and forget about the AF:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1280873-REG/sony_selp18110g_e_mount_...

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on May 9, 2018 at 4:43:49 am

Hmmm I'd say those are possibilities.

I would want to check as many reviews as I could and ideally test drive them (are either available as rentals near you)? That'd especially be true for the Sony. Don't get me wrong, Sony makes great stuff and great cameras... but they are definitely known for their electronics and not so much for their glass. I can't say I really know anyone who says "Boy I just love Sony lenses." It's just not what they do well... although I think better now than in the past.

Obviously, both of those lenses are slow as molasses (typical of most all zooms, unfortunately). I personally would just never find that workable as I shoot PL mount superspeed primes 99% of the time usually around f/1.3 so those would take some getting used to and re-thinking how I light things... but if you are married to using zooms then yep you have to sacrifice the speed.

Sounds like you aren't as married to AF as I thought. Again it just depends on what you are used to. In a couple of decades of directing and DPing I personally never use any auto anything, but it's what I'm used to. A while back I borrowed a friend's C100 (with L series primes) and while the images looked great it drove me crazy all day because I was constantly reaching for the focus wheel... which wasn't there of course. Now... if Canon would put the C200's pretty amazing AF features on the C300 (which I imagine they will eventually do) I might have to give autofocus a try.

Let us know what you do....

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Tim Neighbors
on May 9, 2018 at 9:58:36 pm

Thanks for the response Todd. I suspect we work on different types of productions. If I were making movies or commercials, I would definitely get some primes and I would probably have zero interest in AF. But as a run & gun, mostly documentary style and event videography shooter, I need to have a versatile and quick zoom lens. And I would love for these lenses to be faster, but at the same time, when you don't know what your subject is going to do next, having too shallow of a DOF can make things pretty difficult.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on May 9, 2018 at 10:11:53 pm

Yeah, probably very different.

You do good work (yeah, I snoop...always). What are you shooting with now?

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Tim Neighbors
on May 10, 2018 at 12:25:16 am

Thanks for snooping :). I checked out your stuff too and I like it as well. I've been shooting with a Sony A7s + Shogun 4K recorder and a DJI Osmo. I've been hurting for an upgrade for quite some time, but haven't quite been moved to pull the trigger. The C200 has me pretty interested though.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on May 10, 2018 at 10:40:47 pm

Yeah I was really wanting to check out the C200, and had booked one on a recent shoot in Greece (if we travel very far we usually rent gear on location rather than ship or travel with it). But... when arriving at the rental place they didn't have a C200 in, despite our much-confirmed reservation ....

...sooo.... they gave us a C300 Mark II instead. I shouldn't complain since it's a better camera and the one we are used to, but I was wanting to see what the C200 could do.

I have started using the Osmo a fair bit too now. Cool, huh? It's not right for everything, but when it is it's a really cool thing. It took me a little while to accurately pull focuses with it, but I'm decent at it now. One thing that really helped was getting the (overpriced) CrystalSky monitor, instead of my phone... it's so much brighter and easier to see, focusing is a lot easier. I've also calibrated (sort of) and marked my focus wheel so sometimes I'm just going old-school and focusing by guessing distances, which works pretty well. I will definitely never full-rig Steadicam again (and in fact am selling my rig).

One thing that is helpful for a lot of what I do is the ability to separate the Osmo handle from the camera head, which I sometimes do with the Osmo gimbal extension cable ( https://store.dji.com/product/osmo-gimbal-extension?from=autocomplete&posit... ). Now, you are not supposed to be able to use this cable with the Osmo with the Zenmuse X5 camera (it's really made for the smaller X3), but with a little modification it actually works fine (you have to carefully file down the locking ring on the extension's mount). That way I connect two of the extension cables together and operate the X5 camera with the Osmo handle from 10 feet away (unfortunately two cables is the max you can daisy chain together... I've tried more). We shoot a lot of automotive footage, so we'll sometimes put the camera on a suction mount outside a vehicle and are able to get good driving shots that are a lot easier (and a lot more controllable) than mounting the whole Osmo rig somewhere. I also have a 10-foot vehicle mounted boom that I cobbled together out of two old light stands, so I can get moving jib shots while driving (or rather, being driven), and the little X5 camera is so light it will fly on it just fine.

Lots of fun stuff going on in the world these days.... let us know if you take the C200 plunge!

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]