FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon C100 into two monitors

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Newton
Canon C100 into two monitors
on Apr 26, 2018 at 11:39:45 am

Hi all,

Can I run a Canon C100 mkii into two monitors/TVs? If so, is it done via the HDMI and some sort of splitter?

Thanks in advance,

Alex

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Canon C100 into two monitors
on Apr 26, 2018 at 7:31:16 pm

Yes you can do that in one of two ways...

If you are lucky enough that one of your monitors has a "pass through" feature for the HMDI port, then it's easy... you just go from camera to monitor to monitor... but that's a fairly rare feature and I'd say chances are that neither of your monitors will do that.

The second way, and more common, is exactly what you said... use an HDMI splitter. I've never used them in exactly that way, to get one camera signal into two monitors... but our edit suites have numerous HDMI splitters behind the scenes, as we generally need to feed more monitors than we have HDMI ports on the breakout boxes...so we use splitters. They are just little boxes that have an HDMI input port on one side, and two (or three or more) HDMI output ports on the other side. They are probably available wherever you buy electronic stuff... although I think all of the ones we have came from eBay sellers... just search "HDMI splitter" and you'll get thousands of results, like this one....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1x2-HDMI-Splitter-v1-4D-ViewHD-One-Input-to-Tw...

Note that these do usually require DC power, so if you were planning to use them on location you'll need AC to feed the adapters, or rig up the appropriate DC power with batteries. Ours are all behind the racks in the edit suites so power is not an issue.

They work pretty flawlessly.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Alex Newton
on Apr 27, 2018 at 6:58:21 am

Hi Todd,

That's great. Much appreciate the detailed answer.

Do you know how long a signal runs through an HDMI cable? I'm thinking of running a C100 to a screen via a 30 metre (90 ft approx.) cable.

Cheers,

Alex

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Apr 27, 2018 at 2:58:41 pm

I couldn't say with certainty, but the sort of common rule-of-thumb is that an HDMI cable shouldn't run more than 50 feet, and even then it's pretty rare to see one over 25 feet.

I've seen longer runs that use little "boosters," sort of signal amplifiers that help with long cable runs. More often though you'll see signal converters that are two little HDMI-ported boxes, but that are connected by ordinary CAT-5 or CAT-6 ethernet cable... that allow for very long runs (hundreds or thousands of feet if needed).... so you effectively have what is the same as having a super-long HDMI cable (which is also much cheaper, HDMI cable is expensive whereas CAT-5/6 cable is dirt cheap).

I think most of those converters/extenders are in the $500-600 range, but I see Markertek has a much shorter-range one (100ft) that's really inexpensive, and unlike the bigger/pricier units, does not seem to require power.

https://www.markertek.com/product/nb-hdmi-cat5/hdmi-over-cat5-transmitter-r...

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Alex Newton
on Apr 27, 2018 at 3:49:01 pm

Thanks again Todd. Perfect answer. I know what I'm going to do now!

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Apr 27, 2018 at 5:24:44 pm

Good deal.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]